10 Sneaky Beauty Tricks You Should Know
- Next1 of 11Glo
- Previous Next2 of 11Costello Tagliapietra Fall 2013/Imaxtree
- Previous Next3 of 11Jill Stuart Fall 2013/Imaxtree
- Previous Next4 of 11J Mendel Fall 2013/Imaxtree
- Previous Next5 of 11Diane Von Furstenburg Fall 2013/Imaxtree
- Previous Next6 of 11Helmut Lang Fall 2013/Imaxtree
- Previous Next7 of 11Jill Stuart Fall 2013/Imaxtree
- Previous Next8 of 11Philosophi Fall 2013/Imaxtree
- Previous Next9 of 11Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images for MBFW Russia
- Previous Next10 of 11BCBG Fall 2013/Imaxtree
- Previous Next11 of 11Moschino Fall 2013/Imaxtree
Get Smart1 of 11
By Kelly Mickle
Looking your best doesn't require hours in front of the mirror, or spending hundreds on pricey skincare products—not when you know a few easy tricks of the trade. We got top makeup artists, hairstylists, dermatologists and more to reveal their best insider beauty tips. From whiter teeth to brighter eyes, here are ten get-gorgeous tricks to try today.
Pucker Up2 of 11
Use red lipstick to fake a brighter smile—the bold color contrast can make teeth look shades lighter, says celebrity makeup artist Lina Hanson. Not sure which red hue is right for you? "Choose a color based on your undertones," says Hanson. "There are two types of red lipsticks: warm and cool. Cool reds work best for blondes and redheads, while warmer shades work best for olive and darker skin tones."
Smear Campaign3 of 11
A common mishap: eyeliner and eye shadow that won't stay put. "To keep your makeup from smudging, use a good primer to start, then blot your face using blotting papers to get rid of any excess oil without removing any product you've applied," says Hanson.
Eye Opener4 of 11
Short on sleep? Look wide-awake in one easy step: "Line the inside rim of your eye with a nude eye pencil," says Hanson. "It reduces redness and instantly brightens your eyes, making them appear bigger."
Dry Spell5 of 11
Instead of towel drying your hair, use an old t-shirt. "They’re more absorbent and shave minutes off your drying time," says Laura Rice, master stylist and owner of Salon Bordeaux in San Diego. "Plus, the fabrics are more gentle than terrycloth towels, which can easily rough up hair cuticles and intensify frizz."
Perfect 106 of 11
We all love a good mani, but once the polish is gone, your bare nails can end up looking dull and yellow. "To whiten nails, soak them in freshly squeezed lemon juice or use the lemon itself to rub on them," says Marion Fenwick, head nail trainer at bliss SoHo in New York City. "The fruit's citric acid acts as a natural bleach, making nails look cleaner and whiter."
Chill Out7 of 11
For a fast way to de-puff eyes, refrigerate your under-eye cream, says Francesca Fusco, M.D., a dermatologist in New York City. "When cream is cold it constricts blood vessels, making puffiness decrease faster."
Code Red8 of 11
"If you have rosacea and tend to blush or get episodes of redness that are unsightly, suck on an ice cube," says Fusco. Sounds crazy, but it works! "Receptors in your palate can help trigger vasoconstriction, reducing redness," explains Fusco.
Spot Check9 of 11
There are few things worse than getting a big pimple right before a hot date or work presentation. "Look for products formulated to remove redness, like eye drops, calamine lotion, or a glob of hydrocortisone 1 percent cream to zap a zit in a hurry," says Fusco.
Spice It Up10 of 11
Wish you had Angelina Jolie's full pucker? Try this DIY trick: "Apply a drop of cinnamon oil to your lips," says Fusco "The spice dilates the blood vessels in your lips, giving them a subtle fullness," says Fusco.
Forever Young11 of 11
"If you wake up and find that your frown lines are deep, you may be a sleep frowner," says Fusco. "Apply medical tape to the area at bedtime to immobilize the muscles while sleeping, and you will wake up smoother."
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- 10 Surprising Ways to Test Your Compatibility
- Couples, what your sleep position reveals
- 9 Stylish DIY Ideas for Easter
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- 11 Creative Outfits For In-Between Weather
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds