The ultimate guide to freckled skin
- Next1 of 9Glo
- Previous Next2 of 9Courtesy of Neova
- Previous Next3 of 9Courtesy of Shiseido
- Previous Next4 of 9Courtesy of Mark
- Previous Next5 of 9Courtesy of Aerin
- Previous Next6 of 9Courtesy of Laura Mercier
- Previous Next7 of 9Courtesy of Almay
- Previous Next8 of 9Courtesy of ColoreScience
- Previous Next9 of 9Courtesy of Neutrogena
- The ultimate guide to freckled skinJennifer Aniston's stylist reveals all
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- Dancing With the Stars pros' top looks
- The ultimate guide to perfect foundation
- Look fresh, sexy & fun at your next pool party
- A beauty cheat sheet for allergy season
- Get Party-Ready Makeup in 5 Minutes or Less
- Gotta Have It: Mother's Day Finds
- Stars' unexpected '80s hairstyles
- Spring's sexiest new nail polish trends
- Top 10 beauty finds under $10
- The freshest new manis to try right now
- Mother-daughter beauty treats
- The shockingly cool history of hair removal
- Read this before trying the neon makeup trend
- 8 wacky must-see beauty gadgets
- Glo's latest obsession: Hi-tech finds
- Runway beauty from Mumbai, Moscow & more
- Get a perfect, plump pout—not "fish lips"
Unknown1 of 9
Sun Smarts2 of 9
Freckles, of course, come from the sun, but what happens when rays hit your skin differs from person to person. As Ava Shamban, M.D., author of Heal Your Skin, says "We all have pigment-producing cells, called melanocytes. When our melanocytes become damaged by the sun, we produce freckles, which are simply abnormal collections of melanin pigment." To help keep skin healthy and freckles looking fresh, try Neova Day Therapy, which shields you from UV rays.
SHOP NOW: Neova Day Therapy Broad Spectrum SPF 30, $85
Natural Repair3 of 9
Most girls with freckles know that, after a day at the beach, freckles will darken and multiply—even with sun protection. If you've overdone it outdoors and your beauty spots are darker than you'd like, Dr. Shamban suggests trying natural lightening agents such as buttermilk and pure licorice-root extract to subdue your spots without making them disappear entirely. Other solutions include creams rich with vitamin C, like this multipurpose product.
SHOP NOW: Shiseido’s White Lucent Brightening Protective Cream SPF 15, $55
Hint of Tint4 of 9
If your complexion is clear, then skip heavy foundations that can look cake-y on skin. Instead opt for a tinted moisturizer to even out your skin tone without hiding your freckles, says Robyn Corsio, makeup artist at Sally Hershberger in Los Angeles. "You'll radiate," she says.
SHOP NOW: Mark's Get-a-Tint tinted moisturizer lotion SPF 15, $12
Fair Play5 of 9
For women with fairer skin, avoid blush that’s too pink, which may mask freckles. Instead, try a muted mocha hue that offers a hint of color.
SHOP NOW: Aerin Multi Color for Lips & Cheeks in Natural, $42
Bronze Goddess6 of 9
"Because many bronzers have copper or brown undertones similar in hue to freckles, it's best to avoid heavier liquid bronzers and use the sheerest option," says Corsio. This formula is extremely light and gives warmth to the skin while letting your natural beauty shine through.
Coming Up Rosy7 of 9
If you want to show off your freckles while adding a pop of color, choose a blush that's at the opposite side of the color spectrum from your skin tone. This blush-and-highlighter hybrid is a perfect choice for those women with warm olive complexions.
SHOP NOW: Almay Wake Up blush and highlighter compact in Rose, $10
Precious Minerals8 of 9
To get glowing, look for makeup that reflects light rather than absorbs it. Colorescience makeup artist Michael McCarthy recommends mineral cosmetics, which are "light-reflective and provide excellent coverage." As an alternative to foundation, try a light primer like this one, which has a subtle yellow tint that banishes redness without masking your freckles.
SHOP NOW: Colorescience Skin-Brightening Face Primer SPF 20, $45
Hit the Base9 of 9
If you need more coverage than a tinted moisturizer or primer provides, then "match your foundation with the color of your skin between the freckles, or on the underside of your neck," says Corsio. Again, look for something that reflects light like this product, which is available in eight shades.
SHOP NOW: Neutrogena Mineral Sheers loose powder foundation, $12