21 Trendy Makeup Looks
- Next1 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next2 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next3 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next4 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next5 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next6 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next7 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next8 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next9 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next10 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next11 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next12 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next13 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next14 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next15 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- Previous Next16 of 16Courtesy of Phyllis Li
- 21 Trendy Makeup Looks13 Totally Life-Changing Beauty Innovations
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- A History of Women and Underarm Hair
- Beauty Tips From A Supermodel-Turned-Actress
- Why Every Woman Should Be Using A Facial Oil
- Outrageous Makeup Looks Only Bloggers Will Try
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds
- Ombre Nails How-To
- Your Ultimate Guide to At-Home Self-Tanners
- Gotta Have It: Daily Animal Finds
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- 8 Skin Mistakes You Don't Know You're Making
- What Your Blowout Style Says About You
- Gotta Have It
- What Guys Think Of 10 Spring Hair Trends
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds
- 12 Most Outrageous Brow Trends Ever
- Spring Nail Colors Inspired By Chick Flicks
- 12 Ways To Look Prettier In Under 30 Seconds
Pretty Woman1 of 16
ELLE enlisted blogger Phyllis Li of Makeupforlife.net to test out 21 unique makeup looks inspired by the runway. Here are the results! —Glo
Look 12 of 16
A big presentation at work calls for understated sophistication. My favorite lip stain adds polish to my basics but doesn’t steal the show.
Time: 10 seconds* Tools: Bobbi Brown Tinted Lip Balm in Pink Raspberry
* Mascara, foundation, and concealer application time not included.
Look 23 of 16
Some looks are best left to the pros. My attempt at glossy lids (so gorgeous in magazines!) smeared my mascara in seconds.
Time: 30 seconds Tools: Aquaphor Healing Ointment
ON ELLE: Long-Lasting Party Makeup
Look 34 of 16
Bold brows have been a runway mainstay the past few seasons, but I can hardly find the courage to show my roommate, let alone leave the house.
Time: 4 minutes Tools: M.A.C. Impeccable Brow Pencil in Black
Look 45 of 16
Tired of the same-old, same-old black smoky eye? Me too. As an alternative, I swap in gold and copper metallics instead. Focusing the pigment on the eyelid and away from the brow bone keeps the look subtle.
Look 56 of 16
No foray into makeup experimentation would be complete without red lipstick. I choose an orange-based glossy shade and skip lip liner for a softer look. Surprisingly, no grocery store stares. Are power lips less shocking than I thought?
Time: 1 minute Tools: NYX Luscious Lip Palette in Red Rediscovered
Look 67 of 16
A beauty mirage, dewy skin is hard to achieve naturally, but thankfully, easy to fake. I apply a cream highlighter on the top of my cheekbones, brow bone and bridge of my nose. Voilà!
Time: 2 minutes Tools: Nars the Multiple in Copacabana
ON ELLE: Best Beauty Buys for 2011
Look 78 of 16
I love the deep purple lids makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury layered on at Victoria Beckham’s spring show, so I give it an enthusiastic try, dusting the shadow up to the brow bone. I’m hooked!
Time: 4 minutes Tools: Lancôme Color Design Sensational Effects Eye Shadow Smooth Hold in Trendy
Look 89 of 16
Big blush, applied on the apples of cheeks and the temples, was a hit at shows like Christian Siriano. Inspired, I blend in a cream formula and love the bright pop of color. White eyeliner finishes the fresh look.
Time: 45 seconds Tools: Maybelline New York Dream Mousse Blush in Pink Frosting; CoverGirl LashBlast Length Mascara in Very Black
Look 910 of 16
Dark lips, a major fall trend, scare me, so I try a slightly more ladylike cabernet. Don’t forget to use a lip brush for application—bold hues require a precise line.
Time: 1 minute Tools: Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense in Satin Blackcurrant
Look 1011 of 16
I try the (surprisingly flattering!) orange lipstick trend, à la Marc by Marc Jacobs, balancing the extreme color with bare skin.
Time: 1 minute Tools: Kanebo Sensai Lasting Treatment Rouge in Soubi
Look 1112 of 16
To make the glittery disco eyes spotted at Giles more wearable, I opt for one color—turquoise—focused only on the lid. The result is glamorous, perfect for date night. Tip: Use a cream shadow as a base and apply the glitter with a damp shadow brush to help it stick to the skin.
Time: 10 minutes Tools: MAC Paint Pot in Constructivist, MAC Pro Glitter in Turquoise, MAC Pro Mixing Medium Water Base
Look 1213 of 16
A late night out leaves me with droopy, tired eyes. To brighten up, I line my lower lid with white liner and the top with navy. The uplifting effects are instant. Darker skin tones can try light beige or gold instead of white for the same results.
Look 1314 of 16
My daily routine isn’t complete without two coats of mascara, but special occasions like a friend’s birthday call for fake lashes. I apply a dramatic pair along the upper lid and a natural-looking pair along the lower (I cut them to fit) for instant doll eyes.
Time: 15 minutes Tools: Ardell Fashion Lashes in Black and Lower Black
Look 1415 of 16
From Nina Ricci to Alexander Wang, red eye shadow has experienced a surprising burst in popularity. Avoid looking like you have allergies by going heavy on black eyeliner and mascara.
Look 1516 of 16
A last-minute dinner invite leaves no time to run home and freshen up. Luckily, mega-eyeliner smudged out for a sultry nighttime vibe transforms my face in seconds—and earns more bad pickup lines than just my usual mascara.
Time: 1 minute Tools: L’Oréal Paris Studio Secrets Kohl Eyeliner in Black Kohl