Best Hair In America
- Next1 of 16Mario Gomez for ELLE
- Previous Next2 of 16Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next3 of 16Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous NextWant It!4 of 16Steven Krause for ELLE
- Previous NextWant It!5 of 16Steven Krause for ELLE
- Previous NextWant It!6 of 16Steven Krause for ELLE
- Previous Next7 of 16Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next8 of 16Kevin Mazur/WireImage
- Previous NextWant It!9 of 16Steven Krause for ELLE
- Previous NextWant It!10 of 16Steven Krause for ELLE
- Previous NextWant It!11 of 16Steven Krause for ELLE
- Previous Next12 of 16Michael Tran/FilmMagic
- Previous Next13 of 16George Napolitano/FilmMagic
- Previous NextWant It!14 of 16Steven Krause for ELLE
- Previous NextWant It!15 of 16Steven Krause for ELLE
- Previous NextWant It!16 of 16Steven Krause for ELLE
- Best Hair In America10 ways to look younger right now
- Summer beauty rules to break today
- Tried-and-true self-tanners
- Finger flags: national-pride manis
- The best new hair-removal products and tools
- Fast-forward to fab: smart beauty shortcuts
- The 13 Best Tinted Moisturizers
- Jennifer Aniston's stylist reveals all
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- The best pedi-and-sandal combos ever
- Tricks that make your face look thinner
- Decadent (and inexpensive) new beauty buys
- How to look effortlessly hot at the gym
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Father's Day Finds
- 7 quick fixes for summer beauty emergencies
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Grad Finds
- Simple DIY beauty projects to try right now
- The sexiest scents to spritz right now
- Celebs' summer bobs are easy, loose and sexy
And The Winners Are1 of 16
Bless ELLE for polling the 100 tops salons in America to find out who has the most coveted hair in our fair country. Plus, they got the pros to give their product choices for recreating the favored celebrity looks.
The Bang2 of 16
Winner: Nicole Richie
“The full bang is very late ’60s, early ’70s, so it’s the perfect vintage accessory,” says Richie’s stylist, Andy Lecompte. “Nicole Richie’s look really resonates with our long-haired clients who want a change but won’t compromise on length,” says Adrienne Rogers, co-owner of Hush Salon in Philadelphia.
The Bang3 of 16
Runner-Up: Zooey Deschanel
Retro-adorable Deschanel is the runner-up.
The Bang: Pro Pick4 of 16
Richie totes a Mason Pearson Boar Bristle & Nylon brush to touch up bangs.
The Bang: Pro Pick5 of 16
Lecompte adds a dab of Phyto Professional Matte Texturizing Paste to “lightly define” fringe.
The Bang: Pro Pick6 of 16
Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray “soaks up excess oil without leaving behind white residue,” Lecompte says.
Long & Straight7 of 16
Winner: Reese Witherspoon
“I cut face-framing layers from the top of the head, not by holding them out to the side,” says her stylist, Mark Townsend. “This adds bounce and keeps ends from looking stringy.” And because straight hair reflects the most light, her style boasts extra shine. “This style is so popular because it’s super flattering,” says Sanda Petrut, a senior stylist at Chicago’s posh Maxine Salon.
Long & Straight8 of 16
Hitmaker Beyoncé comes in a close second.
Long & Straight: Pro Pick9 of 16
Townsend spritzes a bit of Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine Spray onto his palms and lightly distributes it through Witherspoon’s hair “to separate and define layers.”
Long & Straight: Pro Pick10 of 16
Townsend’s blow-dry essential: Dove Body & Lift Volumizing Mousse to “keep hair full of volume all day.”
Long & Straight: Pro Pick11 of 16
Townsend’s other blow-dry essential: His Spornette Porcupine Rounder Brush, which “gives amazing bounce.”
The Wave12 of 16
Winner: Kim Kardashian
“I give Kim bouncy waves by vertically wrapping hair from root to end in small sections around a 1.5-inch iron,” says her stylist, Frankie Payne. Hawaii’s salt-spray beaches make [her] beachy strands a hit: “Hawaiians have always had an affinity for long hair,” says Joe Randazzo, owner of J Salon in Honolulu. “Our clients love the versatility of Kim’s layered waves. ...”
The Wave13 of 16
Runner-Up: Taylor Swift
Women envy Swift for more than her talent and her friendship with hunky Taylor Lautner; they love her natural coils.
The Wave: Pro Pick14 of 16
Payne uses Hot Tools 1.5" Curling Iron, working from the nape of the neck up: “It really makes curls last.”
The Wave: Pro Pick15 of 16
Bumble and bumble Thickening Hairspray coats strands to make a “perfect base” for waves, Payne says.
The Wave: Pro Pick16 of 16
A dab of T3 Boost “seals in shine and eliminates frizz.”
- Dog Vs. Man: Which is the better companion?
- Go punk without looking like a poser
- An App for "Secure" Sexting
- Decadent (and inexpensive) new beauty buys
- Are you ready to celebrate the supermoon?
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Wedding Finds
- Dream home gyms inspired by top fitness studios