Looking back: The hottest hair of 2011
- Next1 of 17ANNE-CHRISTINE POUJOULAT/AFP/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 17Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 17Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic
- Previous Next4 of 17Gustavo Caballero/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 17Frazer Harrison/Getty Images for Latin Recording Academy
- Previous Next6 of 17Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 17Dominique Charriau/WireImage
- Previous Next8 of 17Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 17Steve Granitz/WireImage
- Previous Next10 of 17Dave M. Benett/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 17Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next12 of 17Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next13 of 17Jason Merritt/Getty Images for Cirque du Soleil
- Previous Next14 of 17Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next15 of 17Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next16 of 17Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next17 of 17Jason Merritt/Getty Images
Rear View1 of 17
By Shannan Rouss
Go behind this year's biggest hair trends—and see if you can guess these stars by their style.
A high pony like the one on this model works if your hair is long and thick. Otherwise, try one of these clips to plump up a puny pony.
Tie The Knot2 of 17
To upgrade the look of your ponytail, take a hint from this actress and loop a cluster of your own strands around your usual elastic, and then fasten in place with a bobby pin. (Add dangly earrings for an elegant finish—from every angle.)
Bing: Who is this actress?
Gone Fishin'3 of 17
This singer-songwriter hits a high note with her fishtail braid. The not-too-perfect style adds a touch of effortlessness to a sequined dress.
Bing: Who is this singing beauty?
Get Low4 of 17
Taking the ponytail down a notch, this fashionable actress opts for a low version that's textured with loose braids. The result is soft and feminine without distracting from the dress's detailing.
Boho Braid5 of 17
Combining the side pony and braid trend into one innovative new look, this musician creates a winning look at the Latin Grammys.
Bing: Who is this Latin singer?
Put A Sock In It6 of 17
Even leading ladies are embracing the neat and tidy sock bun, which can easily be done with a cut sock, an elastic and a few bobby pins.
Bing: Who is this A-list actress?
Search: The Academy Award-winning actress tied the knot with agent Jim Toth this year.
Do The Twist7 of 17
At Cannes, this always-elegant actress pulled off a dainty bun (great for shorter hair) paired with delicate drop earrings.
Bing: Guess this leading lady.
Pinned Down8 of 17
One of our favorite trends of 2011? Perfectly imperfect updos. Here, this actress relies on bobby pins galore to create a deconstructed bun.
Diamond In The Rough9 of 17
A jeweled clip adds a dose of elegance and polish to this star's teased-out cluster of curls.
Bing: Guess this film beauty.
Search: Since her divorce, she has been linked with this A-list actor.
Happily Ever After10 of 17
The whimsical string of flowers strewn through this star's hair felt like a fairy tale moment straight from A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Bing: Who is this film star?
Curl Power11 of 17
Finger-raked curls give this singer's half-up 'do a softer look, while a light-hold hairspray can be used to keep strands from falling flat.
Bing: Who is this singing star?
Fob-ulous!12 of 17
The faux bob (or fob) lets you test-drive a short 'do. For a retro flapper look, take a cue from this stylish celeb and opt for a few face-framing waves.
Bing: Who is this "bobbed" celeb?
Search: See more of the former model's many tattoos.
Chop Chop13 of 17
This formerly long-haired actress made the cut this year. Now she's sporting an asymmetric bob with a piece-y look that's both modern and young.
Straight Talk14 of 17
This hair trendsetter debuted a long bob earlier in 2011. By the time the look had trickled down to the masses though, she was already growing hers out.
Search: See pics of her original sensation-causing cut.
Layer It On15 of 17
Long layers with highlighted and curled ends add depth and movement to this celeb's hair.
Bing: Guess this celeb.
Making Waves16 of 17
What's the secret to this style icon's luscious blond waves? Pros recommend wrapping sections of hair around a medium barreled curling iron. (Clamping strands the traditional way is more damaging, and yields less natural-looking results.)
Search: This material girl is headlining half-time at Super Bowl XLVI.
A Cut Above17 of 17
Hair envy alert! This actress (and spokesperson for a major hair care brand) says regular trims keep her hair healthy and strong.
Bing: Who is this actress?
NEXT ON GLO: 11 Hairstyles That Have Stood the Test Of Time
- 10 Creative Braids You Have to See to Believe
- 11 Enviable Celebrity Bedrooms
- New Invention Helps You Read Faster
- 10 Things to Watch, Shop and Do in March
- 25 Unusual Outfit Details From Fashion Month
- 10 Budget Decorating Secrets
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Animal Finds