- Next1 of 18Archive Photos/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 18Archive Photos/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 18John Kobal Foundation/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 18Keystone Features/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 18Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 18Bettmann/CORBIS
- Previous Next7 of 18Murray Garrett/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 18Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 18Silver Screen Collection/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 18Archive Photos/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 18Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 18Darlene Hammond/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 18RDA/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 18Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next15 of 18Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next16 of 18Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next17 of 18Victor Drees/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next18 of 18Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
- Elizabeth TaylorJennifer Aniston's stylist reveals all
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- The ultimate guide to perfect foundation
- Top 10 beauty finds under $10
- A beauty cheat sheet for allergy season
- Get Party-Ready Makeup in 5 Minutes or Less
- The shockingly cool history of hair removal
- Stars' unexpected '80s hairstyles
- Spring's sexiest new nail polish trends
- Glo's latest obsession: Hi-tech finds
- The freshest new manis to try right now
- Mother-daughter beauty treats
- Look fresh, sexy & fun at your next pool party
- Read this before trying the neon makeup trend
- 8 wacky must-see beauty gadgets
- Gotta Have It: Mother's Day Finds
- Runway beauty from Mumbai, Moscow & more
- Get a perfect, plump pout—not "fish lips"
- How to master the ultimate at-home blowout
National Treasure1 of 18
Discovered when she was just a child, Elizabeth Taylor and her unparalleled beauty made an indelible mark in the movies and in the hearts of the many prominent men who loved her. She rarely strayed from her signature looks throughout her decades in the spotlight—it was all about framing that million-dollar face with short or pulled-back hair, bold makeup, opulent jewels and striking headpieces.
Poster Child2 of 18
First appearing on the silver screen at age ten in There’s One Born Every Minute, Elizabeth ushered in a new type of child stardom with her dramatic-yet-innocent beauty. The striking contrast between her raven hair and porcelain skin was punctuated by those legendary violet eyes.
In Bloom3 of 18
Her budding beauty grew with each subsequent film. Here she is in 1943, the year she made her first picture with MGM, Lassie Come Home.
Animal Magnetism4 of 18
National Velvet officially sealed Elizabeth’s fate as an international superstar, and during her teenage years the more sultry side of her beauty started to reveal itself. Even when her hair was long, as it rarely was throughout her life, it was always styled off her face to showcase her memorable features.
Scents and Sensibility5 of 18
The sight of Elizabeth at a vanity dabbing on perfume puts her love affair with scent into context. Her White Diamonds fragrance is one of the top 10 best-selling perfumes.
White Wedding6 of 18
Famous for marrying eight times, Elizabeth's first wedding dress epitomized the classic white bride for her nuptials to Conrad "Nicky" Hilton. Embroidered with seed pearls and beads, the dress was designed and made for her by MGM's Helen Rose (who also created Grace Kelly’s gown when she married Prince Rainer of Monaco).
Cow Girl7 of 18
Elizabeth shone as a radiant newlywed and started to solidify her signature look: cropped, curly locks with a strong brow and bold lips. In a departure from her typical style, Elizabeth adopted a western motif with husband Nicky for a charity event at the Beverly Hills Hotel in 1951. But she still looks glamorous.
Take a Brow8 of 18
The eyes are said to be the window to the soul, and they were Elizabeth’s signature feature. While this film still showcases her overall elegance — with her black gown, sparkling earrings and coiffed curls — we can’t help but be drawn in by her alluring eyes and the arched brows over them.
Pretty in Pink9 of 18
Matching one’s lipstick to her gown may be a much-talked-about trend today, but we’re not surprised that Elizabeth was showing off this look in 1951 at the premiere party of the film Quo Vadis, in which she had a cameo role.
Got It Covered10 of 18
Elizabeth’s headscarves and turbans were a mark of her unique style and showed off her striking features.
A Thing of Beauty11 of 18
The voluptuous screen siren was photographed here in 1953 donning a red sequin bathing suit to match her legendary red lips.
Gentle Giant12 of 18
Seen here in 1956, Elizabeth epitomized iconic beauty with her dramatic eyebrows, dark tresses and supple skin. This year also marked her role in the sprawling epic Giant, alongside such greats as James Dean and Rock Hudson.
Glitterati13 of 18
Elizabeth’s crown and brooch were subtle accents to the 30-carat emerald cut diamond engagement ring then-husband Mike Todd had given her.
Eye Candy14 of 18
All eyes were on Elizabeth in 1958 as she smoldered on screen in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof opposite equally gorgeous star Paul Newman. Elizabeth’s perfect pout and lashes to die for were center stage thanks to her famous pageboy cut.
An Affair to Remember15 of 18
While filming Cleopatra in Rome, the starlet and costar Richard Burton (her fifth husband) began a very public affair. Her legendary relationship was as glamorous and ostentatious as her famous bouffant. The two were married and divorced twice.
Garden of Eden16 of 18
Elizabeth was known for styling her jet-black locks with pearls and other jewels. On her wedding day to Richard Burton in 1964, she had lilies of the valley and hyacinths in her hair.
Double Vision17 of 18
Legend has it that her striking violet eyes were framed with a double set of eyelashes, a mutation she was born with.
Treasure Trove18 of 18
Elizabeth was also known for her extensive collection of exotic jewelry, which included the La Peregrina pearl, once owned by Queen Mary Tudor of England and the Krupp diamond, a 33.19-carat stone.
- Jennifer Aniston's stylist reveals all
- Remake these lavish floral displays at home
- The best news we've heard all week
- How to Raise a Confident Daughter
- 17 worst things to say in a wedding speech
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- The hit songs and swimsuits of summer