16 top makeup tricks for looking awake
- Next1 of 17Glo
- Previous Next2 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next3 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next4 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next5 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next6 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next7 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next8 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next9 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next10 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next11 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next12 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next13 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next14 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next15 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next16 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next17 of 17Courtesy of ELLE
- 16 top makeup tricks for looking awakeThe Best New Mascaras For Drama, Volume and Length
- Behind Adele’s sultry Elle photo shoot
- The best celeb long hair of all time
- Real-life men share what makeup they love
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- Best Celeb Locks of the Moment
- 10 Things Waxers Won't Tell You
- 11 Best Holiday Beauty Bargains
- Copy 6 Hunger Games: Catching Fire Looks
- Beauty Products That Work While You Sleep
- ELLE 2013 Beauty Genius Awards
- Dry idea: Shampoo sans water
- 10 Secrets Men Keep From Women
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Sparkly Finds
- 10 Get-Gorgeous Tips Every Woman Should Know
- 10 Ways To Look Good In Every Photo
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Get Ready Faster
- Keep your glow well into winter with 5 switches
Look Lively1 of 17
By Taylor Barringer for ELLE
ELLE.com sat down with NARS international makeup stylist Uzo—part of Francois Nars’ inner circle—to create an easy-to-do, brightening makeup look that will help you fake a full eight hours of sleep.
Prep School2 of 17
Uzo, who's all about prepping the skin with moisturizer before applying makeup, used the iconic NARS the Multiple in Copacabana to add illumination to the cheekbones and down the bridge of the nose.
SHOP NOW: NARS the Multiple, $39
Lay the Foundation3 of 17
"At NARS, foundation application starts with your hands. Your fingers blend so much better than a sponge or a brush, and it's quicker," says Uzo. Here, she applied a light foundation for a "sheer veil all over the face."
ON ELLE: The Top 10 Red Lipsticks
Cover Up4 of 17
"I recommend a little bit of foundation under the eyes before applying concealer. Women tend to use too much concealer," says Uzo, "so let the foundation even you out first, then use the concealer if you need it."
ON ELLE: 50 Spring Accessories to Buy Now
Cream Blush5 of 17
Uzo added a bright pop of color to the cheeks with another NARS the Multiple stick, in G Spot. "I like to use color on the apples and in the hollows of the cheek so it's not too contoured, but more brightening."
SHOP NOW: Nars The Multiple Stick, $29
ON ELLE: 50 Spring Accessories to Buy Now
Blending6 of 17
"I like to use powder only where needed," says Uzo. Here, that means around the nose and across the cheekbones to help blend out the cream blush.
ON ELLE: Sexy Short Hair Styles to Try Now
Powder Blush7 of 17
Uzo used NARS Seduction Blush to add another, bright pop of color to the skin. Layering will not only insure that the look lasts all day, but will give dimension to your cheeks.
SHOP NOW: NARS Blush, $29
ON ELLE: Hot New Hair Trend For Spring 2013
Brightening Blush8 of 17
Clean skin and a bright pop of color on the cheeks work for an everyday natural look. But, in a few more steps you can take a daytime palette to one that is more dramatic.
ON ELLE: 3 Easy Updos for All Hair Lengths
Pop of Color9 of 17
"A big color right now is fuchsia. It's a great alternative to red and brightens the face up a lot." Here, Uzo used NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in 413 BLKR, a bright pink matte color all over to define the lips.
SHOP NOW: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil, $25
ON ELLE: The Top 100 Salons In America
Bright Glossy Lips10 of 17
Lip pencil all over the lip will last longer than just gloss alone. Uzo topped the look off with a shiny, lacquered lip gloss.
Shine On11 of 17
Bright cheeks and glossy lips make the eye area (devoid of makeup) appear more awake.
Add More Drama12 of 17
For those who want a look that goes from day to night, add a deep lipstick in a terracotta red color, like NARS Dressed to Kill Lipstick.
SHOP NOW: NARS Satin Lipstick, $26
Define13 of 17
Uzo recommends applying lipliner after lipstick in this instance. "That way, it's softer, and you can blend the color easier." Here, she used a bright red lipstick to define and brighten the lips.
Wide-Eyed14 of 17
"Another quick way to brighten the eyes is by applying a neutral pencil to the inner rims. White pencils can be too harsh." Uzo applied NARS Larger Than Live Eye Liner in Rue Bonaparte to the bottom waterline only.
SHOP NOW: NARS Long Wear Eyeliner, $24
Metal Mania15 of 17
Keep the eyes open and bright by applying a shimmery metallic gold color to the lids. Uzo applied a cream shadow from the lash line to slightly above the crease. When you have a bold lip, you can skip eyeliner, like Uzo did here.
Lash Out16 of 17
Finish with two coats of mascara on both the top and bottom after curling.
Pull It Together17 of 17
Here, a bright-eyed, colorful, and more awake look is created using minimal products. It's the pop of colors that work together with correct concealer and foundation application to make the area around your eye appear lighter and more illuminated.