Before your next over-the-top mani, read what this writer has to say about the trend.
At this year's Golden Globes, quirky-cute actress Zooey Deschanel wore an unconventional green and black Prada gown, which—under normal circumstances—would have had the fashion commentators all abuzz. But instead, it was Deschanel's tuxedo nails that made headlines, with everyone talking about the tiny bowties, buttons and cummerbunds that adorned her digits.
It's official: Statement nails have usurped statement shoes and handbags, both on red carpets and runways—and in everyday life.
The over-the-top, hyper-festooned nails made popular by Lady Gaga and Katy Perry are having a moment right now. With stick-on patterned decals, elaborate hand-painting, real crystals, piercings (with actual jewelry) and the popular gel manicures, manis are on everyone's mind—including mine. But for a very different reason.
I've never much cared for polished nails. And the practice of regularly paying someone to clean, shape and paint my nails holds zero allure for me. So I'm left wondering what confluence of events has delivered us to this moment of mani mania.
More On MSN
- 11 Eco-Friendly Brands To Shop Right Now
- 10 Things Guys Really Do After a Breakup
- SNL alum lands huge Garnier campaign
- Decorate A Rental Without Losing Your Deposit
- What Guys Think Of 10 Spring Hair Trends
- How Celebs Dress 10 Pounds Thinner
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds