Before your next over-the-top mani, read what this writer has to say about the trend.
How do "done" nails differ from the effort behind a smoky eye or a tangle of intricate braids? Buns, braids, eyeliner, lip color: They all look more modern, at least to me, when they're slightly imperfect—harnessing the charm of fresh-faced indie girls passing around a red Revlon lipstick in the car on the way to a seedy rock club (yes, every one of my romantic notions ends at a rock show). Manicured nails, on the other hand, look ghastly when they're messy.
And as a makeup devotee, I feel like I have to choose my hands or my face as a repository for my beauty efforts. A hot pink lip paired with high-octane nails definitely feels like too much. Like wearing horn-rimmed eyeglasses with huge doorknocker earrings.
Finally, the chemical smell of nail products has always turned me off. Most varnishes contain a bouquet of well-known toxins—and even the options that are toulene-, pthalate- and formaldehyde-free tend to make my nose itch.
More On MSN
- Is your home in or out? 9 ways it can be both
- The must-read guide to caring for curls
- Genius teen girl's invention wins Intel prize
- Cool, comfy PJs for the bedroom and beyond
- The 7 best things about being an aunt
- Top 10 beauty finds under $10
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds