New products aim to deliver more youthful hair
- Next1 of 11H&M Fall 2013; Imaxtree
- Previous Next2 of 11Courtesy of Pantene
- Previous Next3 of 11Courtesy of Redken
- Previous Next4 of 11Courtesy of Philip Kingsley
- Previous Next5 of 11Courtesy of Nexus
- Previous Next6 of 11Courtesy of Toppik
- Previous Next7 of 11Courtesy of G Mele
- Previous Next8 of 11Courtesy of Alterna
- Previous Next9 of 11Courtesy of Clean
- Previous Next10 of 11Courtesy of Garnier
- Previous Next11 of 11Courtesy of Oribe
- New products aim to deliver more youthful hairBeauty Solutions For A Stress-Free Holiday
- Totally Unexpected Ways To Sparkle This Season
- 10 Gorgeous Gifts That Give Back to Charity
- 7 Easy Ways To Fix A Bad Hair Day At Work
- Best Celeb Locks of the Moment
- 10 Things Waxers Won't Tell You
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway
- Copy 6 Hunger Games: Catching Fire Looks
- Beauty Products That Work While You Sleep
- 10 Ways To Look Good In Every Photo
- 7 Shortcuts To Soft, Smooth Skin
- What Dermatologists Don't Want You To Know
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Sparkly Finds
- 10 Get-Gorgeous Tips Every Woman Should Know
- 11 Best Holiday Beauty Bargains
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Get Ready Faster
- Keep your glow well into winter with 5 switches
- 8 Celebs Who Look Radiant in The Winter
Anti-Aging Hair Care1 of 11
By Laura Vogel
At first glance, the idea of "anti-aging" hair products might elicit skepticism: On top of everything else, do we really need to worry about our hair looking old? Well… yes, if you want to keep your strands thick, glossy and strong. As celebrity colorist Kyle White at Oscar Blandi New York explains, "As we mature, our hair changes and it requires more care, like everything else in our body." To keep your hair looking young and healthy, here are our picks for the ten best anti-aging products.
Strengthen Strands2 of 11
As we age, hair loses moisture. To give strands a hydration boost, Pantene has a brand-new collection of products that are rich in B vitamins and promise to help combat everything from dryness to thin strands.
SHOP NOW: Pantene Age Defy Collection, from $9
Thicken Up3 of 11
One newly released product holds some promise for thickening hair at the very root. It purportedly improves your hair's health with ingredients such as zinc PCA (a naturally occurring trace element that reduces sebum) and vitamin E (which conditions and plumps follicles).
SHOP NOW: Redken Intra-Force Shampoo for Thinning Hair, $16
Good Stretch4 of 11
Elizabeth Cunnane Phillips is Philip Kinglesy’s head trichologist (someone who studies the scalp and hair) in New York. She says, "While it's vital to match the correct products and deep moisturizing products to your hair type, it is also crucial that we consider the health of the scalp." This is her recommendation for a deep scalp and hair moisturizer.
SHOP NOW: Philip Kingsley Elasticizer Pre-Shampoo Treatment, $47
Quenching Collection5 of 11
"Hair gets more coarse with age, so heat-protective products can be helpful," says Elizabeth Tanzi, M.D., board-certified dermatologist in Washington, D.C. The brand-new Nexxus Youth Renewal Collection contains a pre-heat-treatment spray and a hydrating finishing serum. Both products are rich in omega 3s, vitamin E, keratin and argan oil, all of which help to smooth the hair cuticle, making hair appear thicker and glossier.
SHOP NOW: Nexxus Youth Renewal Collection, from $17
Powder Keg6 of 11
A handy product that coats hair strands, making it look instantly fuller, is a 100 percent keratin colored powder. It works in two ways: It helps to coat the scalp to diminish its show-through. It also clings to hair strands—even the finest—to give the appearance of thicker, darker locks. A perfect choice for commitment-phobes, it washes out easily with shampoo.
SHOP NOW: Toppik Hair Building Fibers, from $50
Shine On7 of 11
The new G Melé Anti-Aging system is designed to infuse hair with moisture and, thus, subtract years from its look. Made without any harsh chemicals (it's sulfate-free), it contains natural sugars, which its maker claims help lipids adhere to strands. The moisturizing products help to seal the cuticle, preserving the pigments in color-treated hair.
SHOP NOW: G Melé Anti-Aging products, from $20
Caviar Dreams8 of 11
Longer hair goes through a lot: "If your hair reaches the middle of your back, the hair at the ends is about eight years old," says White. "It has endured many summers in the sun, chlorine and heat styling, and you can definitely use richer products on the ends of your hair than on your scalp." This treatment contains plant-derived melanin to help shield the hair from damaging light—including UVA and UVB rays—while micro-emulsion beads full of fatty acids and vitamins (the "caviar") help smooth the cuticle.
SHOP NOW: Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Photo-Age Defense, $35
At the Root9 of 11
"As we get older, it's important to treat the scalp properly—both exfoliating and moisturizing at the roots," says White. The new Clear hair-care line is aimed squarely at caring for the scalp. To deep-clean your scalp, White says to rinse wet hair with apple-cider vinegar before shampooing. Follow that with a nourishing wash, like this one: It includes aloe; vitamins B5, C and E; as well as sunflower, almond, soybean and coconut oils.
SHOP NOW: Clear Scalp and Hair Beauty Therapy Shampoo, $6
Hue Knew?10 of 11
"When you color hair, it fattens the strand and makes it look fuller," says White. "There have been amazing advances in hair color—L'Oréal just came out with the first no-ammonia oil-based professional color and it literally improves the condition of hair," says White. On the market now for home use is the new Olia line by Garnier (a L'Oréal brand) which also contains no ammonia, and has been getting rave reviews from consumers.
SHOP NOW: Garnier Olia Oil-Powered Hair Color, $10
Glossy Finish11 of 11
"Shine is one of the key ingredients in keeping hair looking youthful," says Oribe. "Our new Shine Spray is great because it gives hair luster. You can also use it to blow the hair out, and can also add more afterward for added moisture and shine." This light formula uses argan oil and lemongrass to tame flyaways and add a gorgeous sheen.
SHOP NOW: Oribe Shine Light Reflecting Spray, $36