Oxygen is the latest trend in skincare
- Next1 of 8Lacoste Fall 2013; Imaxtree
- Previous Next2 of 8Courtesy of Oxygen Pur
- Previous Next3 of 8Courtesy of Dr. Brandt
- Previous Next4 of 8Courtesy of NaturaBisse
- Previous Next5 of 8Courtesy of Philosophy
- Previous Next6 of 8Courtesy of Bliss
- Previous Next7 of 8Courtesy of Benefit
- Previous Next8 of 8Courtesy of Oxygenetix
- Oxygen is the latest trend in skincareWhat Dermatologists Don't Want You To Know
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- Best Celeb Locks of the Moment
- 10 Things Waxers Won't Tell You
- 11 Best Holiday Beauty Bargains
- Copy 6 Hunger Games: Catching Fire Looks
- Beauty Products That Work While You Sleep
- 8 Celebs Who Look Radiant in The Winter
- 10 Celeb Beauty Secrets Revealed
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Cozy Finds
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Sparkly Finds
- 10 Get-Gorgeous Tips Every Woman Should Know
- 10 Ways To Look Good In Every Photo
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Get Ready Faster
- Keep your glow well into winter with 5 switches
- How to Go Gray Gracefully
- Glo Challenge: Beauty Blogger Makeunder
- Look Irresistible In Your Online Dating Profile
Take a Breath1 of 8
By Lisa Cohen Lee
Oxygen is essential to life, and beauty companies are increasingly using it as an ingredient in skincare. What started as a spa treatment—spraying skin with pure O2 post-facial for dewy results—is now available in a wide range of beauty products. Fans claim the gas will reboot your face for a fresher, brighter complexion. Here's the lowdown on the latest creams, washes, masks and makeup laced with oxygen-rich ingredients.
Plump It Up2 of 8
"Oxygen is known to increase circulation. At the end of a facial I blast the skin with pure oxygen, and my clients walk away with a wonderful glow," says esthetician Joanna Vargas. Likewise, a daily pump of this natural oxygenated serum increases O2 levels by 15 times in the skin, say makers.
SHOP NOW: Oxygen Pur Skin Serum, $80
Air Apparent3 of 8
The next best thing to a spa-quality oxygen facial? This two-part formula made with with oxygen "spheres" that pop when rubbed into skin. The effervescent mask brightens skin, while the lightweight cream seals in moisture.
SHOP NOW: Dr. Brandt Detoxygen Experience, $78
Clear the Air4 of 8
Good news for the pimple-prone: Oxygen is anti-bacterial, and a vital player in promoting clear skin. "When an oxygenated ingredient like benzoyl peroxide or hydrogen peroxide gets into the pores, it kills the bacteria that can cause acne," says Dr. Eric Schweiger, a New York City dermatologist. He recommends a foamy cleanser powered with hydrogen peroxide that keeps pores unclogged and skin shine-free.
SHOP NOW: Natura Bisse Oxygen Mousse, $48
Don't Pollute5 of 8
Urbanites, smog affects your skin as well as your lungs. Besides making your skin dull and lifeless, pollution can cause free-radical damage that leads to premature aging. This product is loaded with coffee-seed extract (a natural anti-oxidant). It also contains perfluorodecalin, a chemical that, when applied topically, draws oxygen to the site. The makers claim it gives skin a brighter, healthier appearance.
Wide Awake6 of 8
If there's one place that most of us could use a refreshing oxygen boost, it's underneath the eyes. This unique treatment is meant to bring Bliss's in-salon Triple Oxygen Treatment Facial home. Each eye-mask patch has two liquid chambers, that, when popped, cause a chemical reaction that releases oxygen onto the skin. Other ingredients, like cucumber extract, may help rev up circulation to depuff and brighten shadows.
SHOP NOW: Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Eye Mask, $54
Makeup Detox7 of 8
So far, oxygen has primarily been used in skincare. However, oxygen-imbued makeup lines, particularly in liquid and powder foundations, are now hitting the market. Benefit cosmetics is one of the first brands to incorporate oxygen into color cosmetics; their foundation includes an oxygen complex that makers say gives skin a plumping, radiant effect.
SHOP NOW: Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow Brightening Makeup, $34
In the Bubble?8 of 8
Studies have proven that oxygen is a potent wound healer, making oxygen-rich formulas a good option after a chemical peel or laser or if skin is naturally very sensitive. This foundation's breathable technology helps draw in oxygen to speed up the healing process.
SHOP NOW: Oxygenetix Oxygenating Foundation, $53