One-Year Wonders: Fleeting Trends of 2011
- Next1 of 11Tinsley Mortimer: John Parra/Getty Images for ESPN
- Previous Next2 of 11Kesha: Jen Lowery / Splash News
- Previous Next3 of 11Kourtney Kardashian: Gilbert Carrasquillo/FilmMagic
- Previous Next4 of 11Audrina Patridge: Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic
- Previous Next5 of 11Claudia Schiffer: Mike Marsland/WireImage
- Previous Next6 of 11Sienna Miller: Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic
- Previous Next7 of 11Julianne Moore: Theo Wargo/WireImage
- Previous Next8 of 11Jessica Szohr: Michael Loccisano/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 11Zoe Saldana: Alexander Tamargo/WireImage
- Previous Next10 of 11Kim Kardashian: Kevin Mazur/WireImage
- Previous Next11 of 11Christina Aguilera: Jason Merritt/Getty Images
Gone, Baby, Gone1 of 11
By Emili Vesilind
Beauty and fashion trends are famously ephemeral—and 2011 saw its fair share of fleeting looks. Join us in saying farewell to the trends we won't soon miss.
Animal hats are adorable—if you're a fifth grader. But even New York socialite Tinsley Mortimer donned the goofy topper. We're all for being a kid at heart—you just don't have to wear it on your head.
For The Birds2 of 11
Ke$ha, Heidi Klum and Hilary Duff were among the stars festooning their hair with feather extensions this year. But just around the time the plumage trend hit every mall in America, it flamed out like a campfire in a downpour.
Super Slacks3 of 11
Pants went the opposite of skinny in 2011, with celebrities including Charlize Theron, Rachel Zoe and Kourtney Kardashian swimming in voluminous, supersized trousers. Recently, the look has slimmed down into much more wearable, classic wide-legged pants.
Heels Without Heels4 of 11
And we thought stilettos were a test of our fashion commitment. These gravity-defying shoes seem like a hazard to your health, but that didn't stop stars like Audrina Patridge from wearing them on the red carpet. Walk at your own risk.
Caption Contest: Help Glo Name These Heels...Stilett-nos?
Barely-There Brows5 of 11
Bleached-out arches started on the spring 2011 runways (at Marc Jacobs, Valentino and Yves Saint Laurent, to name a few) before trickling down to the red carpet—and stopping there.
Jumbo Buns6 of 11
This year, buns were big—in every way. Any hairdo that rivals the size of your head should be worn with caution.
ON GLO: A Guy's Take on Jumbo Buns
Big Top7 of 11
A jazzy collar on a simple blouse? Cute. A collar that rivals the Golden Gate Bridge in magnitude? Not so much. But big, bountiful collars definitely had a moment this year. Zooey Deschanel (who's always sporting girlish bows and frills) and Julianne Moore were among the notables who took the idea of "face framing" a tad too far.
Middle Management8 of 11
We're of the mind that—unless you're at the beach—grown-up bellies should be kept covered in public. But stars seem determined to show off their abs, even on the red carpet. Jessica Szohr donned this midriff-baring number back in February, and Gwyneth Paltrow later displayed the fruits of her Tracy Anderson workouts in a two-piece gown at the Emmys.
Mullet Dresses9 of 11
We have mixed feelings about this style of dress. Sexy in the front, elegant in the back, but together? It's just confusing.
Ring Leaders10 of 11
How many carats does it take to woo a Kardashian? Nine if you're talking about Khloe, and 20.5 if you're referring to Kim, who is apparently going to buy the ring from her erstwhile husband. Fortunately, outside of Hollywood, the average engagement ring is a respectable 1.18 carats, according to market research firm The Wedding Report.
Sticky Situation11 of 11
Flexible film nail adornments became the must-have mani in 2011, leaving a trail of decal-happy stars in their wake. Pop's biggest divas—Beyoncé, Rihanna, Christina Aguilera (left) and Katy Perry—all latched onto the look. But what comes up must go down, and we're feeling a pendulum swing back to more natural nails.
NEXT ON GLO: Would You Rock a Celeb-bouffant?
- 16 Wedding Gowns For Under $500
- Incredible Firsts for Women in the 21st Century
- Buy Lupita's Headband for $58
- Famous people who used to be cheerleaders
- How to Get Fashion Week's Prettiest Nails
- The 10 Germiest Spots You're Not Cleaning
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Animal Finds