The best & worst hollywood beauty of 2012
- Next1 of 21Marcel Thomas/FilmMagic
- Previous Next2 of 21Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic
- Previous Next3 of 21Marion Curtis/startraksphoto.com
- Previous Next4 of 21Christopher Polk/VF12/Getty Images for Vanity Fair
- Previous Next5 of 21Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for Marc Jacobs
- Previous Next6 of 21Kevin Winter/NBCUniversal/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 21Jason Merritt/Getty Images for Marni and H&M
- Previous Next8 of 21Samir Hussein/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 21Foc Kan/FilmMagic
- Previous Next10 of 21George Pimentel/WireImage
- Previous Next11 of 21Steve Granitz/WireImage
- Previous Next12 of 21Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 21Dave Kotinsky/Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 21Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images
- Previous Next15 of 21Frazer Harrison/AMA2012/Getty Images for AMA
- Previous Next16 of 21Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next17 of 21Michael Buckner/Getty Images for Baby2Baby
- Previous Next18 of 21Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next19 of 21Jeff Vespa/Getty Images for TWC
- Previous Next20 of 21Marcel Thomas/FilmMagic
- Previous Next21 of 21Allen Berezovsky/Getty Images
- The best & worst hollywood beauty of 2012Beauty Solutions For A Stress-Free Holiday
- Totally Unexpected Ways To Sparkle This Season
- 10 Gorgeous Gifts That Give Back to Charity
- 7 Easy Ways To Fix A Bad Hair Day At Work
- Best Celeb Locks of the Moment
- 10 Things Waxers Won't Tell You
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway
- Copy 6 Hunger Games: Catching Fire Looks
- Beauty Products That Work While You Sleep
- 10 Ways To Look Good In Every Photo
- 7 Shortcuts To Soft, Smooth Skin
- What Dermatologists Don't Want You To Know
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Sparkly Finds
- 10 Get-Gorgeous Tips Every Woman Should Know
- 11 Best Holiday Beauty Bargains
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Get Ready Faster
- Keep your glow well into winter with 5 switches
- 8 Celebs Who Look Radiant in The Winter
Beauty Rewind1 of 21
By Rachel Hayes
Bangs, bobs, crazy hair hues, elaborate nail art, statement red lips—2012 was big for bold beauty. Glo shines the spotlight on 20 stars who embodied the best and worst of the year's trends.
Best Bangs: Rooney Mara2 of 21
Perhaps the most memorable beauty moment of 2012 belongs to actress Rooney Mara. She cut bold, blunt bangs for her role in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and, after growing them out a bit, made the look her signature.
Worst Bangs: Jessica Biel3 of 21
Jessica Biel's bangs were at the opposite end of the spectrum, with fringe so long it hid her eyes, and a rounded shape that failed to flatter. However, slightly shorter and swept to the side, these bangs later became a hit.
Best Topknot: Olivia Wilde4 of 21
This year, the bun graduated from a bad-hair-day solution to red carpet regular. Olivia Wilde was one of the first to modernize the style at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party, where she wore her big, gutsy bun high on the crown of her head.
Worst Topknot: Kelly Osbourne5 of 21
From gray hair to fuchsia lips, this year Kelly Osborne has made a lot of bold statements that work for her. But this towering topknot she wore to spring 2013 Fashion Week in New York City? She clearly took this trend too far—and too high.
Best Ombre Hair Color: Drew Barrymore6 of 21
Drew Barrymore was one of the first celebs to debut the ombre hair-color trend in 2010, and since then has been the poster girl for this beachy, boho color that starts with dark roots and gradually fades to lighter ends. In February, she showed off a more high-contrast effect that inspired a lot of gals to run to their colorist.
Worst Ombre Hair Color: Drew Barrymore7 of 21
Alas, what goes up must come down. Just a few days after showing off enviably long ombre locks on the Tonight Show With Jay Leno, Drew Barrymore lopped off much of her length and went for a darker base color with brassy ends. Without those bright strands around her face, the look is too dark and unnatural.
Best Red Lips: Taylor Swift8 of 21
It's hard to imagine Taylor Swift without her signature red lip, which contrasts so beautifully with her alabaster complexion. Over the past year, the star has inspired plenty of women to put down the gloss and pick up a more grown-up, old-Hollywood lipstick.
Worst Red Lips: Emma Stone9 of 21
Dramatic lips were all over the red carpet this year, but Emma Stone missed the mark with this gothic pout. The high-gloss berry color is too severe for her fair skin.
Best Lashes: Kim Kardashian10 of 21
In addition to all of her other enviable curves, Kim Kardashian’s long, feathery lashes have become part of her signature style. They also help draw the eye above her shoulders.
Worst Lashes: Ginnifer Goodwin11 of 21
We're a big fan of Ginnifer Goodwin's iconic pixie haircut and mod makeup, but the spiky lashes she wore to the American Music Awards looked more clownish than glamorous.
Best Nail Art: Zooey Deschanel12 of 21
When adorably awkward Zooey Deschanel sported this black-and-white tuxedo-themed mani at the Golden Globes, she brought the niche nail-art trend into the public eye.
Worst Nail Art: Adrienne Bailon13 of 21
Everyone wants to have a unique mani that makes a statement, but Cheetah Girls singer Adrienne Bailon's tips are so decked out, we'd be scared to shake her hand for fear of a laceration.
Best Braid: Blake Lively14 of 21
2012 was the year of the braid, the fishtail being one of the most popular styles. Blake Lively wove the perfect mix of slightly messy and totally glamorous with her long blond locks.
Worst Braid: Kimberly Cole15 of 21
Pop singer Kimberly Cole took the trendy fishtail to new heights—as in spouting from the top of her head. This unflattering look brings to mind I Dream of Jeannie…and not at all in a good way.
Best Retro Beauty: Charlize Theron16 of 21
Old Hollywood made a big comeback this year, and it started with Charlize Theron on the Golden Globes red carpet. Her sparkly vintage headband, deep side part with subtle finger waves and sparkling pink makeup came together to create an alluring art deco appeal.
Worst Retro Beauty: Nicole Richie17 of 21
We love Nicole Richie's signature boho style. Unfortunately, her messy-on-purpose vibe didn't translate well when she tried this retro-glam look. Her finger waves and smoky eyes were too undone, and her colorless lips make her look washed-out.
Best Bob: Rose Byrne18 of 21
Rose Byrne turned heads at the SAG Awards when she debuted her new chin-length bob, cut to perfection with bold bangs, blunt ends and major shine. The look made a strong case for a more polished look after so many years of bedhead celeb hairstyles.
Worst Bob: Cameron Diaz19 of 21
We can see why Cameron Diaz would want to hop on the bob bandwagon—it can be an easy, sporty hairstyle that would fit perfectly with her active life and chic, laidback style. But her tousled waves are too stiff and dry to look carefree.
Best Crazy Hair Color: Katy Perry20 of 21
Pink, purple, blue—you name the wacky hair hue, and Katy Perry has pulled it off as only a true pop princess can. Her best non-natural hair color of the year? The sleek blue bob that she wore when he made her first red carpet appearance after breaking up with Russell Brand.
Worst Crazy Hair Color: Jaime King21 of 21
We get it—funky hair colors are fun. It's actually amazing how many non-rock-star celebrities sported rainbow hair colors this year, some quite impressively. Unfortunately we can't say that for Jaime King. Not only does this attempt at an ombre blue hue wash out her face, it just looks like she's trying too hard to be cool.