Made In The Shade
- Next1 of 11Glo
- Previous NextWant It!2 of 11Courtesy of Kiehl's
- Previous NextWant It!3 of 11Courtesy of Dr. T's Supergoop
- Previous Next4 of 11Courtesy of Darphin
- Previous NextWant It!5 of 11Courtesy of NARS
- Previous NextWant It!6 of 11Courtesy of Mission Skincare
- Previous NextWant It!7 of 11Courtesy of Peter Thomas Roth
- Previous NextWant It!8 of 11Courtesy of Skinceuticals
- Previous NextWant It!9 of 11Courtesy of Laura Mercier
- Previous NextWant It!10 of 11Courtesy of Ahava
- Previous NextWant It!11 of 11Courtesy of Clinique
- Made In The Shade13 Totally Life-Changing Beauty Innovations
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- A History of Women and Underarm Hair
- Beauty Tips From A Supermodel-Turned-Actress
- Why Every Woman Should Be Using A Facial Oil
- Outrageous Makeup Looks Only Bloggers Will Try
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds
- Ombre Nails How-To
- Your Ultimate Guide to At-Home Self-Tanners
- Gotta Have It: Daily Animal Finds
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- 8 Skin Mistakes You Don't Know You're Making
- What Your Blowout Style Says About You
- Gotta Have It
- What Guys Think Of 10 Spring Hair Trends
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds
- 12 Most Outrageous Brow Trends Ever
- Spring Nail Colors Inspired By Chick Flicks
- 12 Ways To Look Prettier In Under 30 Seconds
Beauty_madeinshade_introcard_sunscreen-v031 of 11Beauty Made In The Shade Intro Card
My Protector2 of 11
By Emili Vesilind
Say goodbye to sticky sunscreen. Kiehl’s Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50+, $32, absorbs quickly and is light enough to wear comfortably under makeup, but offers supersize protection against both UVA and UVB rays.
SUN STAT: According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, up to 90% of skin aging comes from sun exposure.
Sunscreen Guide3 of 11
Dr. T’s Supergoop SPF 30 Sunscreen Swipes, $34, are formulated with ray-deflecting zinc oxide and soothing green tea. These handy wipes (perfect for kids) reduce irritation and help combat free radical damage.
SUN STAT: Hitting the tanning bed will soon cost more. President Obama’s new health care bill includes a 10% tax on indoor tanning that goes into effect this July.
Sunscreen Guide4 of 11
Why settle for a sunscreen that merely blocks rays, when there are multi-tasking products like Darphin’s VITALPROTECTION lotion, $75, which boasts serious SPF and ingredients like edelweiss that help prevent fine lines and wrinkles?
SUN STAT: Adults over age 40 (especially men) have the highest annual exposure to UV, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation.
Lip Service5 of 11
Lips are as vulnerable to sunburn as the rest of your face, so make sure you’re protecting your pout with a lip color packing sunscreen like NARS Pure Sheer SPF Lip Treatment with SPF 15, $25.
SUN STAT: Even on a cloudy day, up to 80% of the sun's ultraviolet rays can pass through the clouds, according to the American Academy of Dermatology.
Sunscreen Guide6 of 11
Protecting your skin with a high SPF when working out just got a little easier. Mission Skincare’s All-Sport Premium Sunscreen SPF 50+, $10 — a sweat-proof, oil-free formula — comes in a continuous-spray.
SUN STAT: Last year, the World Health Organization added radiation from UV-emitting tanning machines to its list of the most dangerous forms of cancer-causing radiation.
Sunscreen Guide7 of 11
Applying sunscreen lotion to an already made-up face can be a messy affair. Enter Peter Thomas Roth Bronze Instant Mineral SPF 30 powder, $35, a protective bronzing mineral powder that guards against rays while giving your skin a matte, light-diffused glow.
SUN STAT: The AAD recommends applying 1 oz (about a shot glass full) of sunscreen to cover exposed body parts.
Sunscreen Guide8 of 11
Not crazy about the dewy look (and feel) most sunscreens leave behind? SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50, $30, a mattifying protective fluid engineered for oily and problematic skin, has you covered.
SUN STAT: According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, only about 23% of a person’s lifetime exposure to the sun occurs by the time they’re 18.
Sunscreen Guide9 of 11
Sky-high temperatures and too-cold air conditioning can test your skin’s defenses. But Laura Mercier Flawless Skin Daily Face Shield with Adaptogens SPF 40+, $45, acts like a thermometer for your skin by responding to the effects of extreme temps.
SUN STAT: Nearly 70% of indoor tanners are female, primarily 16 to 29 years old, according to the American Academy of Dermatology.
Sunscreen Guide10 of 11
On-the-go gals will appreciate the portability of AHAVA Sun Protection Anti-Aging Moisturizing Spray, $21, a spray-on hydrator packing SPF 30 that helps neutralize free radicals. A perfect product to throw in your beach tote.
SUN STAT: According to the Melanoma Foundation, people with more than 50 moles are at an increased risk of developing melanoma.
Sunscreen Guide11 of 11
Exfoliate your skin while you’re protecting it this season with Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Moisturizer SPF 20, $43, which helps erase past damage and guard against future exposure.
SUN STAT: The SPF rating is calculated by comparing the amount of time needed to produce a sunburn on sunscreen-protected skin to the amount of time needed to cause a sunburn on unprotected skin.