9 Ways to Unwind on National Relaxation Day
- Next1 of 10Thinkstock
- Previous Next2 of 10Thinkstock
- Previous Next3 of 10Courtesy of Animi Causa
- Previous Next4 of 10Courtesy of Skyzone Sports
- Previous Next5 of 10Courtesy of Sweet Soap LLC
- Previous Next6 of 10Josh Valcarcel
- Previous Next7 of 10Thinkstock
- Previous Next8 of 10Harrison Eastwood/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 10Time Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 10Courtesy of Vibra Pro
- 9 Ways to Unwind on National Relaxation DaySOLD! How to Buy at Auctions
- How to Throw an "Indie" Fourth of July Party
- 8 clever ways to hide your home's eyesores
- 10 Annoying Cleaning Hassles Made Easier
- Stop making these lighting mistakes
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Father's Day Finds
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Grad Finds
- The most innovative outdoor gear of all time
- The secret to decorating the French way
- Remake these lavish floral displays at home
- What You Need to Know About Outdoor Kitchens
- Designer decor for a steal
- All the Essentials for Your Summer Road-Trip
- What's your summer entertaining style?
- The best pinners you've never heard of
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- Plant this: 9 ways to liven up your windows
- Adult games everyone will want to play
- 7 spectacular sunrooms and porches
Cool It1 of 10
By Julie Fishman
In honor of National Relaxation Day on August 15, a holiday where tranquility is the only tradition, here are nine wacky ways to unwind.
Baby Got Back2 of 10
Give your butt a break with a fanny facial. Offered at the country’s hottest spas, the treatment typically includes exfoliation, extraction and a mask. Smooth Synergy spa in New York City tops things off with a full body spray tan, leaving you calm, confident and rearing to go.
Napper's Delight3 of 10
Enjoy an anytime snooze with The Feel Seating System Deluxe. Composed of 120 squishy balls, this oversize piece can be molded into countless positions allowing you to create the chair, lounger or bed of your dreams.
Bounce Around4 of 10
Get a jump on the day at Skyzone Sports where wall-to-wall and on-the-wall trampolines let you bounce with abandon. End your session—and your stress—by taking a leap into one of Skyzone’s giant foam pits.
Savor the Flavor5 of 10
While scents like lavender and jasmine calm the mind, the aroma of bacon—yes, bacon—creates that warm, fuzzy feeling known as nostalgia. Relax and recollect with Sweet Soap’s Sizzling Bacon Soy Candle, a product that not only smells, but also sounds, like bacon on the griddle.
Fight Club6 of 10
Release your anger in a safe and insanely fun way with a good old-fashioned pillow fight. While the official Pillow Fight Day has passed, you can still de-stress with two fluffy weapons and one willing foe. As the feathers fly, you’ll be on cloud nine.
Water World7 of 10
Visit an aquarium—without your kids—so you can simply sit and stare. Scientists have found that watching fish swim has the same calming affect on brainwaves as the anxiety drug Xanax. While they inspire angst at the beach, jellyfish are actually most effective at calming the mind thanks to their translucent bodies and rhythmic movements.
Cyber Cease8 of 10
Take the day off from gadgets, TV, and the Internet by sticking to a list of don’ts, like don’t visit Facebook, don’t play "Words with Friends" and don’t watch Say Yes to the Dress (you know you’ve seen every episode anyway). In addition to a slower-paced day, you’ll have extra time for the no-tech activities you used to enjoy more often.
Surround Sound9 of 10
Enhance your chi with the sound of music. Visitors to The Integratron in the Mojave Desert lie on mats in a wooden tabernacle and listen to music made by quartz crystal singing bowls. A 60-minute “sound bath” session allegedly aligns your chakras, relaxes your body and energizes your spirit.
Good Vibes10 of 10
Try out vibration therapy, which accelerates the body’s healing process and increases intake of both oxygen and nutrients. Clients of California’s ChiroMassage Centers say a ten-minute session on the company’s pulsating platform leaves them feeling fit and focused.
- Dog Vs. Man: Which is the better companion?
- Go punk without looking like a poser
- An App for "Secure" Sexting
- Decadent (and inexpensive) new beauty buys
- Are you ready to celebrate the supermoon?
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Wedding Finds
- Dream home gyms inspired by top fitness studios