Be My Guest
9 Tips for Being Invited Back
- Noel Hendrickson/Getty Images
Summertime often means invitations to stay at a friend's beach house, lake house or cabin. Whether your friends rent or own, it is your responsibility as a guest to pitch in with chores, errands and possibly even cooking. K. Cooper Ray, the creator of the blog SocialPrimer.com, takes the guesswork out of being a gracious guest with nine etiquette essentials.
1. Remember Where You Are
"The number one rule of being a houseguest is that a guest should never act like a guest," says Ray. "If you're invited to someone's house for the weekend, don't drop your bags at the door and expect to be waited on hand and foot." Ray recounts a trip he took to a friend's house in Southampton, N.Y.: "One of the guests acted like he had checked into The Four Seasons," he recalls. "He just lounged by the pool the whole time, never offering to help."
More On MSN
- Jennifer Aniston's stylist reveals all
- Remake these lavish floral displays at home
- The best news we've heard all week
- How to Raise a Confident Daughter
- 17 worst things to say in a wedding speech
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- The hit songs and swimsuits of summer