5 Easy Ways To Be Clutter-Free For Spring
Step 5: Take Back The Garage
Yes, we saved the best for last. Tackling the garage is a daunting task. Luckily, organizational guru and founder of O.C.D. Experience Justin Klosky has these tips to make it a little less overwhelming.
• Call a dumpster service and begin by taking everything out. "Fifty percent of garage clutter is garbage," says Klosky. "Be hard on yourself by making 'keep,' 'donate' and 'dump' decisions on the spot. You won't regret it."
• Once you are down to your "keep" pile, choose an organizing system that works for the space, whether it's shelving units from Costco or a custom-built setup.
• Think about usage. Place seasonal items and harmful chemicals and paint supplies on high shelves. Keep kids' toys accessible.
• Set a date to complete unfinished projects (like that table you keep meaning to refinish), or discontinue and clear out.
• Aside from storage and a place for your car, consider using your garage space to express your passions, creating a fine art painting studio, gardening station or home gym. You'll visit and utilize it more often, creating a retreat you can enjoy.