Party in the USA
- Next1 of 9Glo
- Previous Next2 of 9Photo by Matt Armendariz/Styling:Little Castle Productions
- Previous Next3 of 9Photo by Matt Armendariz
- Previous Next4 of 9Photo by Matt Armendariz
- Previous Next5 of 9Photo by Matt Armendariz
- Previous Next6 of 9Photo by Matt Armendariz
- Previous Next7 of 9Photo by Matt Armendariz
- Previous Next8 of 9Photo by Matt Armendariz
- Previous Next9 of 9Photo by Matt Armendariz
- Party in the USAWhat's your summer entertaining style?
- The best pinners you've never heard of
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- The most innovative outdoor gear of all time
- 7 spectacular sunrooms and porches
- Make $$$ this weekend: Garage sale secrets
- Amazing design trends from around the world
- Decorating After Divorce
- 5 Festive Cinco de Mayo Party Finds Under $25
- 10 coolest sentimental mother's day gifts
- The secret to decorating the French way
- Remake these lavish floral displays at home
- Plant this: 9 ways to liven up your windows
- 21 amazing art gifts for under $50
- The Ultimate Flower Power Lookbook
- The ultimate guide to stress-free parties
- Gotta Have It: Mother's Day Finds
- Try these (almost!) free home decor crafts
- Glo's latest obsession: Hi-tech finds
july_v021 of 9
U.S. Mail2 of 9
By Christine Lennon
The party may be casual, but the invitation doesn’t have to be. “I would always choose a printed invitation over email,” says Thomas. “It’s a little extra effort that really pays off. I work with Sugar Paper here in L.A. a lot, and those girls always have great ideas, like this chevron print envelope liner that adds a fun pop of color.”
Get the Scoop3 of 9
Conveniently in season — and in Happy 234th Birthday USA colors — simple bowls of berries served by the scoopful quickly disappear.
Stately Sweets4 of 9
Candy has made a huge comeback, both as a party favor and decor. Check out Candy.com for sugary goods organized by color, red licorice, patriotic jelly bellies or lollipops shaped like stars, the Space Shuttle and yes, even the Statue of Liberty. For a more nostalgic but no less sweet treat, Thomas searched endlessly for boxes of Cracker Jack. “Stores carry it, but only in big bags,” she says. “I finally found the individual boxes on Amazon.com.”
Sit, Stay5 of 9
Toss quilts and blankets — this red and white gingham duvet with blue piping is from Hillary’s children’s bedding line H by Hillary Thomas Designs — on the grass for extra all-ages, all-species seating.
Tower of Flour6 of 9
Beverly Hills-born cupcake emporium Sprinkles now has 10 bakeries churning out impossibly perfect, customizable treats (at a whopping $36/dozen). For the DIY-ers in the house, ShopBakersNook.com sells star-shaped cupcake toppers for under $5. To help with presentation, Sprinkles sells a customizable cupcake tower with ribbon accents, too.
Burger Fling7 of 9
Cheese burgers served with red, white and blue corn chips (in reusable plastic baskets with paper liners) combine the charm of a roadside snack shack with the easy cleanup of paper plates. For a laid-back but still luxe table setting, combine lanterns and bandanas that double as napkins. “I swear by ForYourParty.com,” says Thomas. “Matchbooks, coasters, napkin rings — anything personalized is a great touch.”
Pop A Cold One8 of 9
Bud in a can, glass bottles of “pop” and locally made root beer round out a hassle-free, all-American drink table. Potted blue hydrangeas from a garden store will look lovely around the yard long after the party’s over. A classic white enameled beverage tub and vintage-looking galvanized serving tray will also work when the flags stop flying.
ON GLO: Lighten Up Your Summer Parties
Loot Yourself9 of 9
Nothing matches Thomas’ West Coast preppy aesthetic like Johnnie-O, the line of golf shirts and accessories for kids and adults with a surfer logo designed by actor Chris O’Donnell’s brother, John. “Everybody in my family loves his stuff,” says Thomas. An L.L. Bean boat and tote full of Johnnie-O gear, plus beachy loot makes the ultimate warm weather goody bag, for party guests or the hostess who’s letting you crash at her summer house.