Hot Home Trends for 2011
- Next1 of 16Getty Images
- Previous NextWant It!2 of 16Courtesy of Design Public
- Previous NextWant It!3 of 16Courtesy of Woolly Pocket
- Previous NextWant It!4 of 16Courtesy of Unica Home
- Previous Next5 of 16Istockphoto
- Previous Next6 of 16Thinkstock
- Previous NextWant It!7 of 16Courtesy of Delta
- Previous Next8 of 16Thinkstock
- Previous Next9 of 16Courtesy of Arch Interiors
- Previous NextWant It!10 of 16Courtesy of Unica Home
- Previous NextWant It!11 of 16Courtesy of Anthropologie
- Previous NextWant It!12 of 16Courtesy of HSN
- Previous Next13 of 16Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 16Thinkstock
- Previous NextWant It!15 of 16Courtesy of Gizmine.com
- Previous NextWant It!16 of 16Courtesy of Etsy
- Hot Home Trends for 2011SOLD! How to Buy at Auctions
- How to Throw an "Indie" Fourth of July Party
- 8 clever ways to hide your home's eyesores
- 10 Annoying Cleaning Hassles Made Easier
- Stop making these lighting mistakes
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Father's Day Finds
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Grad Finds
- The most innovative outdoor gear of all time
- The secret to decorating the French way
- Remake these lavish floral displays at home
- What You Need to Know About Outdoor Kitchens
- Designer decor for a steal
- All the Essentials for Your Summer Road-Trip
- What's your summer entertaining style?
- The best pinners you've never heard of
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- Plant this: 9 ways to liven up your windows
- Adult games everyone will want to play
- 7 spectacular sunrooms and porches
The Year Ahead1 of 16
By Amy Elisa Keith
Glo predicts the hottest and most highly anticipated home decor trends from the must-have colors to gardening in small spaces and a welcomed return to ladylike design.
1. Honeysuckle2 of 16
Pink has officially become the new black. This year’s must-have color is Pantone’s Honeysuckle, which is perfect for splash accents around your home from throw pillows to picture frames. Don’t go too wild or else it’ll look more ‘Barbie’s dream home’ than on-trend style.
SHOP NOW: Chair, $598
2. Pocket-sized Gardens3 of 16
Mini gardens are all the rage this year as homeowners (and renters) embrace their smaller spaces. From delicate hanging planters to freestanding pocket planters, you can grow your own veggies just as if you had a sprawling backyard.
SHOP NOW: Pockets, from $29
3. Decorative Housewife4 of 16
Alas, the return of ladylike design. Whether you’re channeling your inner Bree Van de Kamp or you just love girly things, this is your year. From poppy florals to hand-painted furnishings, feminine is in. Soften up your bathroom and kitchen for an easy infusion of this trend.
SHOP NOW: Waste Basket and Tray, $176 and $132
4. Modern Mood Lighting5 of 16
Track lighting was so 90s. Recessed lighting was all the rage in the early 2000’s. This year, luminous ceilings and lights installed in the floor to shine upwards are all totally in. Whether you up-light your staircase or a sunken living room, transform the feeling of a room with subtle low lights.
5. One Night Only6 of 16
As we tiptoe out of the recession and begin to splurge again, 2011 will see the emergence of the single night vacation. Many high-end hotels nation and worldwide are offering great deals on one-night getaways. So take a drive to your nearest out-of-town hot spot for a little R&R this year.
6. Double Duty7 of 16
The two-for-one deal has taken over home appliances. Purchasing dual duty home accents and devices not only saves money, but also it saves space. From two-in-one shower heads to one unit washer and dryer machines, every thing and everyone is multitasking this year.
SHOP NOW: Hand Shower, from $92
7. Spa Bathrooms8 of 16
Escape to your own personal spa this year. Bathroom renovation and remodels are an instant way to add value to and luxury to your home. From steam showers to heated floors, spa-like bathrooms are must-haves for any home this year. If you’re on a budget, invest in a towel warmer or new fixture for a quick fix.
8. Outdoor Rooms9 of 16
While dad used to have a bbq pit in the yard and mom had those palm-tree printed loungers, for 2011 it’s all about creating a well-designed patio that could be mistaken for another room of the house. Homeowners want outdoor kitchens, living rooms, garden rooms, and more. The best arrangement places the outdoor kitchen and dining area close to the indoor kitchen because it’s convenient and flows with the house.
9. Zig-Zag Patterns10 of 16
For a true high-design mind bender, infuse the hottest pattern of the year into your home: zig-zags. While brands like Missoni have seemingly cornered the market on this trend, shop for rugs, throw pillows, blankets, wall art and dinnerware to incorporate this zany style.
SHOP NOW: Placemat and Napkins, $90
10. Ethnic Prints Are Back11 of 16
Culture is classic, and like all timeless trends, this one is back in a big way for 2011. Go global with bold colored armchairs, ottomans and bed linens for an international flare.
SHOP NOW: Chair, $1300
11. High Design, Low Price12 of 16
Cheap is now super chic at stores like Target, Walmart, and TV retailers HSN and QVC. Pick up the habit in 2011 of browsing through the home décor sections of these stores to snag stylish accents at lower prices.
SHOP NOW: Bedding, $170
12. White Homes13 of 16
While we all know that US currency is green, but according to real estate expert Barbara Corcoran, the color that will make your the most money is white. A white home exterior makes your home more attractive to house hunters. In this market, do all you can to increase the worth of your home by opting for a shade of white for the exterior. It’ll pay off in 2011.
13. Front Door Fancy14 of 16
Striking and unique front doors will make you the block club favorite. Fire red is a popular option, but cobalt blue, autumn orange and sunny yellows are fast becoming front door color trends. Try out this quick visual improvement for a refreshing outlook on the year.
14. In Plain Sight15 of 16
While we used to store all of our household appliances and cleaning gadgets in the hall closet or the pantry, 2011 is revealing some uber stylish tools that are so chic that you can leave them out all the time. Case and point: the Ultrasonic humidifier that looks like a sleek teardrop.
SHOP NOW: Humidifier, $120
15. New, Old School16 of 16
The technology of yesteryear is getting a high-tech upgrade this year. Old record players are being turned into MP3 players, rotary phones now cater to iPhones and if you crave a vintage handset to connect to your iPad, Moshi Moshi makes those too. What’s old is very, very new again this year.
SHOP NOW: Phone, $195
- All the Essentials for Your Summer Road-Trip
- The Best White Jeans for Summer
- New Girls'-Night Trend: Naked Photo Shoots
- 10 ways to look younger right now
- 9 habits of highly creative people
- 10 Secrets of Healthy Relationships
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Wedding Finds