Living With Style
Skip The Resolutions And Renew Yourself In The New YearBy Mikki Taylor
I used to think it was invigorating to join my friends in making ambitious resolutions at the start of a new year. I also remember how deflating it was when, less than a few weeks later, I had failed at keeping them. I don't like broken promises—especially those I've made to myself. So yours truly has traded in the concept of "resolutions" for that of "renewal," which I find much more affirming and fulfilling.
Renewal is about committing to long-term goals that move you from where you are to where you want to be. For example, instead of setting a pounds goal, try to eat more fruits and vegetables every day. What I love about this concept is that each day has its rewards! Don't bog yourself down with resolutions that are too vague or really have nothing to do with how you live your life. And if you're already feeling defeated, then here's how to get back on track:
1. Evaluate what brought you to the choices in the first place. Were they really your resolutions or someone else's?
2. Ask yourself, "Are my resolutions worth it?" Will they affirm you and cause you to be your best self? If so, then pragmatically define how you'll make this commitment one of renewal, for keeps.
3. Enlist the support of those close to you who will remind you of your successes, not your failures. This may mean distancing yourself from the naysayers.
4. Keep reminding yourself of your value and your commitment by keeping your inner dialogue positive. Read daily affirmations or take out time to meditate each day.
And whatever you have a tendency to succumb to, work at refuting it so you'll not only succeed, but also build up your resilience in the process. At the end of the day, this is what it means to own your life and to live with distinction. Be determined to show up ready and renewed!
Mikki Taylor is a veteran style and beauty authority and author of Commander in Chic, Every Woman's Guide to Managing Her Style Like a First Lady.
- Courtesy of Mikki Taylor
- Adult games everyone will want to play
- Shop the season’s comfortable new heel height
- The best news we've heard all week
- The 7 best things about being an aunt
- The best pedi-and-sandal combos ever
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- Dare to wear: spring's cutting-edge vests