Living With Style
How to Find Age-Appropriate Summer FashionBy Mikki Taylor
The Dilemma: I'm tired of the traditional summer outfits that department stores offer 60-ish women like me. Aside from sleeveless tops and dresses, what are some stylish, age-appropriate, finds?
— Lynn S., Chicago
As temps begin to soar, your look should be chic, modern and effortless and made up of the kind of pieces that will take you from sunup to sundown. To be both age-appropriate and fashion-forward, here are a few items to add to your shopping list:
1. Colorful cardigans: If you're concerned about showing your arms, then hit J.Crew for a few bright cotton cardis. The "Jackie" cardigan is an ageless wonder, and at $62, it's a steal.
2. Day-to-night dresses: Cotton, tunic-inspired dresses with three-quarter-length sleeves are very '60s and utterly stylish. Wear one by day with a flat sandal and a fab satchel and by night with a kitten-heel sling-back and a sleek clutch.
3. Pastel or floral dresses: A boatneck dress with a cap or three-quarter-length sleeve is also a great option. And given the array of pastel hues and vivid floral prints that are so hot this season, you won't fail to look in-the-know about style. They work at the office during the week and allow you to take on another persona on the weekend.
4. Modern bottoms: Great separates are the basis for a sublime game of reinvention! How many ways can you work a flared pant or an A-line skirt? Wardrobe staples like these—along with quality T-shirts and vibrant jackets—add mileage to your wardrobe. It's about paying attention to the color and texture so you can combine pieces in countless ways.
Mikki Taylor is a veteran style and beauty authority and author of Commander in Chic, Every Woman's Guide to Managing Her Style Like a First Lady.
Do you have a style or beauty question for Mikki? Send it to LivingWithStyleonGlo@gmail.com and it may be selected for an upcoming column!
"Regardless of the season and the shopping destination, dressing well is all about working your signature style," says Taylor.Courtesy of Mikki Taylor
- Dog Vs. Man: Which is the better companion?
- Go punk without looking like a poser
- An App for "Secure" Sexting
- Decadent (and inexpensive) new beauty buys
- Are you ready to celebrate the supermoon?
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Wedding Finds
- Dream home gyms inspired by top fitness studios