13 most incredible eggs of all time
- Next1 of 14Courtesy of Beth Ann Magnuson
- Previous Next2 of 14SHAUN CURRY/AFP/Getty Image
- Previous Next3 of 14MARTIN OESER/AFP/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 14James Law Cybertecture International
- Previous Next5 of 14AP Photo/Sang Tan
- Previous Next6 of 14Courtesy of Beth Ann Magnuson
- Previous Next7 of 14Jon Furniss/WireImage
- Previous Next8 of 14Smithsonian Science
- Previous Next9 of 14Ukraine City Guide
- Previous Next10 of 14Paul Horsley/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 14Imaginechina via AP Images
- Previous Next12 of 14Richard Cummins/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 14Xavier Arnau Serrat/Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 14Guinness World Records
A Good Egg1 of 14
By Andie Huber
The incredible little egg has inspired countless incarnations (including egg-shaped buildings, elaborately bejeweled eggs and pricey chocolate ones). Whether real (as in laid by a bird) or manmade, these 13 eggs are pretty amazing.
Sold!2 of 14
The great elephant bird of Madagascar, now extinct, laid an egg almost 400 years ago that's, remarkably, still intact. More than a foot tall and 27.5 inches around, the rare artifact sold for $53,125 in 2012.
Tot Treats3 of 14
Chocolate Kinder eggs are a treat for German kids, but they're illegal in the U.S. The reason? The non-edible toy hidden inside is considered a choking hazard. U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents warn that each egg carries a $2,500 fine if caught smuggling them into the US.
Building Blocks4 of 14
Set to be India's most expensive office building, the 13-story, solar-paneled Egg of Mumbai (under construction now) will have elevated gardens and wind turbines to generate the building's electricity.
Egg-spensive Antique5 of 14
Fabergé produced the most expensive jeweled enamel egg in 1902—it was purchased for $17.4 million in December 2007. Originally created for the Rothschilds, a European banking family, the piece doubles as a clock—which also makes it the most expensive timepiece ever sold.
Handle With Care6 of 14
Artist Beth Ann Magnuson creates these Victorian Lace Eggs using a super-fine high speed drill—and a steady hand. After drawing a pattern onto the shell with a pencil, she oh so carefully hand carves the delicate shells. Prices start at $19 each.
Chocoholic Alert7 of 14
William Curley, a chocolatier based in London, created the most expensive non-jeweled edible chocolate egg to sell at an auction. A technology investor purchased the 110-pound Golden Speckled Egg for $10,000.
Dino-mite!8 of 14
Paleontologists have identified the oldest known dinosaur eggs—34 of them in fact—belonging to the species Massospondylus, which lived over 190 million years ago. Some still contain well-preserved embryos and were unearthed in South Africa in 2012.
The Shape of Things9 of 14
The Pysanka Museum in the Ukraine is the largest egg-shaped museum in the world. It's entirely dedicated to the egg painting process, called Pysanka, a traditional decorating method that is similar to batik.
Heavy Metal10 of 14
Meanwhile, the world's largest Pysanka clucks in at 25.7 feet wide, 18.3 feet high and weighs 5,000 pounds. Made of aluminum and located in Vegreville, Canada, the egg sculpture is a memorial to the area's early Ukrainian settlers.
Half & Half11 of 14
The National Center for Performing Arts in Beijing, known as The Giant Egg, was designed in front of a lake so the reflection of the water becomes a part of the design, making the egg appear whole.
All-Around Great12 of 14
Another performing arts venue, this one in Albany, is simply called The Egg. The space was built between 1966 and 1978 and is still considered a groundbreaking concept with its smooth, round exterior.
Spanish Omelet13 of 14
Located outside Barcelona, The Dalí Theatre and Museum, designed by Salvador Dalí, is the largest site dedicated to the artist's diverse work. Also worth noting: the giant eggs that rest on the roof.
Big Bird14 of 14
In 2008, an ostrich in Sweden took the record for laying the largest egg in existence, weighing in at 5 pounds 11.36 ounces.
NEXT ON GLO: Cleaning strategies for busy people
- 11 Celeb Brands With Actual Style Cred
- Tricks for Cutting Your Makeup Routine in Half
- Lorde's Makeup Collaboration
- Creative Ways To Decorate With Houseplants
- 12 New Beauty Products With Slimming Perks
- 10 Things Guys Really Do After a Breakup
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds