Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- Next1 of 9Getty Images/Imaxtree
- Previous Next2 of 9Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic/Dominique Charriau/WireImage/Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 9Imaxtree/PATRICK KOVARIK/AFP/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 9Imaxtree
- Previous Next5 of 9Melanie Acevedo/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 9via Amazon
- Previous Next7 of 9Dan Duchars/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 9Dan Duchars/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 9thenakedsnail/Getty Images
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 20148 Essentials Every Home Bar Should Have
- 10 Mistakes Parents Make During the Holidays
- Home-for-the-Holidays Survival Guide
- Beauty Products That Work While You Sleep
- 13 Cheap & Fast Ways To Look Red Carpet Ready
- 15 Most Unforgettable Celebrity Brows
- 11 Rising Stars Who Are Future Beauty Icons
- How to Get Fashion Week's Prettiest Nails
- 10 Pretty Ways To Wear The Season's Hot Shade
- 10 Slimming Hair Tricks To Ask Your Stylist For
- 10 Get-Gorgeous Tips Every Woman Should Know
- How to Be More Outrospective
- 8 Celebs Who Look Radiant in The Winter
- How to Look Good on a Webcam
- 11 Best New Acne-Fighting Products
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Colorful Finds
- How to Apply Eye Shadow for Every Eye Shape
- The Perfect Smoky Eyes for Red Lips
- 10 Breakthrough Beauty Ingredients To Try
A Simple Plan1 of 9
By Shannan Rouss
Looking to make a fresh start in 2014? Here's how to streamline and simplify your life in the year ahead.
What Would She Wear?2 of 9
Before you stock up on sale items that will only add more clutter to your closet, focus in on a signature look. Take inspiration from a contemporary style icon (our pick: French "it" girl Caroline de Maigret), and ask yourself whether you could see her wearing that sequined sweater, floral pants or lacy top. Repeat this question like a mantra when you're shopping or embarking on a closet clean-out.
DIY 'Dos3 of 9
You don't need to chop your hair to change up your look and keep it fresh. Instead, try this tip from Into Mind blogger Anuschka Rees: Find pictures of three or four easy-to-do styles that work for your current cut and texture. Keep these pics handy (even taped to your mirror), so you can create a different look without a lot of effort.
Beauty Basics4 of 9
When it comes to makeup, routine is your friend—especially on a day-to-day basis. Figure out what works for you—whether it's a bold lip, dramatic eyes, or dewy and natural—and stick with it. You can always amp things up in the evenings or on weekends.
Making Moves5 of 9
Like pairing together different items of clothing to create a whole new look, you can refresh your home by rearranging the furniture and accessories you already own. Simply flipping the existing layout—turn the sofa to face the windows rather than the television for example—will make the space feel fresh and new again.
Color Scheming6 of 9
Want to bring a little color into your home, but aren't sure where to start? Look to fabric for clues. If the color combos work in the print then they'll work in your room, too. Added bonus: A lot of home decor fabrics are made in coordinating prints, so you can get ideas for how to mix and match creatively.
Clutter Reconsidered7 of 9
Quit trying to hide everything in drawers and behind closet doors. If you have a great shoe collection, work it into your decor in a clean, streamlined way. Similarly, a set of fabulous vintage hats can become wall art, or jewelry can be artfully arranged in crystal dishes.
Bucket List8 of 9
Organizing your office or the kids' room? To keep things interesting but still tidy, combine different bins, buckets and boxes while sticking to one color.
Free Your Mind9 of 9
The one thing that often gets in the way of anyone's keep-it-simple strategy? The Internet. All that time you saved is suddenly squandered on hours of mindless Web browsing. To get rid of distractions, we're obsessed with Freedom, an app that temporarily locks your wireless connection. It's the next best thing to going off the grid—at least for an hour or two.
- 16 Wedding Gowns For Under $500
- Incredible Firsts for Women in the 21st Century
- Bracelet Tracks Your Good Deeds
- Famous people who used to be cheerleaders
- How to Get Fashion Week's Prettiest Nails
- The 10 Germiest Spots You're Not Cleaning
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Animal Finds