The pillow formula that transforms any room
- Next1 of 9Courtesy of Houzz/Caitlin Wilson
- Previous Next2 of 9Courtesy of Houzz/Heather Freeman
- Previous Next3 of 9Courtesy of Houzz/LDaArchitecture & Interiors
- Previous Next4 of 9Kevin Dotolo, Pulp Design Studios
- Previous Next5 of 9Courtesy of Houzz/Caitlin Wilson
- Previous Next6 of 9Courtesy of Houzz/Marcelo Brito Design
- Previous Next7 of 9Courtesy of Houzz/Tobi Fairley Interior Design
- Previous Next8 of 9Courtesy of Houzz/Bowman Group Photography, Sinnaker Development
- Previous Next9 of 9Courtesy of Houzz/Caitlin Wilson
- The pillow formula that transforms any roomFrom Houzz: Kitchen Makeover Ideas
- Design inspiration from coast to coast
- Get smarter, happier & sexier in a minute
- Stress Rx: 9 proven strategies for staying calm
- Make $$$ this weekend: Garage sale secrets
- Amazing design trends from around the world
- 21 amazing art gifts for under $50
- 5 Festive Cinco de Mayo Party Finds Under $25
- 10 coolest sentimental mother's day gifts
- Gotta Have It: Mother's Day Finds
- Daddy Confessions: Father bloggers tell all
- 7 things you can tell just by looking at him
- Pencil this in: moms edition
- The Ultimate Flower Power Lookbook
- The ultimate guide to stress-free parties
- Decorating After Divorce
- Try these (almost!) free home decor crafts
- Glo's latest obsession: Hi-tech finds
- Ellen DeGeneres's relaxing ranch retreat
Pillow Talk1 of 9
The secret to mastering the art of throw pillows? The 2-2-1 ratio. Simply adorn your sofa with two square pillows of one size and pattern on the ends, then add two smaller pillows in a different pattern next to them, and, finally, add one rectangular pillow for the center. The graduated sizing is aesthetically pleasing, while contrasting patterns and colors add whimsy. Check out these perfect pillow arrangements from our friends at Houzz then use the inspiration to turn an ordinary room into a showstopper.
Work of Art2 of 9
Heather Freeman created the painting above her sofa to complement the soft colors and patterns of this cozy five-pillow arrangement.
Sweet Dreams3 of 9
The 2-2-1 ratio also works on beds. Rather than arrange the pillows from the outside in, as you would on a sofa, position them from back to front for a similar eye-catching effect.
Perfect Match4 of 9
Both sofas in this modern Texas living room feature the same throw pillows in the 2-2-1 arrangement. Velvet teal and gold fabrics take a cue from the plush, multicolored chevron rug to create a unifying theme.
ON HOUZZ: Go-To Sources for Pretty Pillows
Double Take5 of 9
Consider using only two fabrics in the 2-2-1 formula. Here, you'll find that the center bolster pillow's toile fabric smartly matches that of the ends pillows, while a solid gold throw grounds the two patterns.
ON HOUZZ: How to Master the Throw-Pillow Mix
Fine Lines6 of 9
While this is technically a 2-2-2-1 ratio, the effect is the same. Take note that the middle pillow is in the same fabric as the room's striped upholstered chairs—this is a great way to tie the whole space together.
Set the Tone7 of 9
Worried about mixing too many patterns? You can get a similar look just by playing with colors. Both sets of these square pillows feature a trellis pattern, but their different hues keep things interesting. The center pillow adds a new fabric while featuring both shades to create harmony.
Size Matters8 of 9
Don't be afraid to get creative! The pillows on the ends may not feature the same pattern, but using similar coloring and size will still help you get the 2-2-1 effect.
ON HOUZZ: Find an Interior Designer in Your Area
Flower Power9 of 9
Celerie Kemble's Hot House floral pillows set the tone for the space. Using rust and blue in the middle pillows picks up on the same color scheme of the floral fabric to add balance.
ON HOUZZ: Revive Your Living Room With New Pillows
- Jennifer Aniston's stylist reveals all
- Remake these lavish floral displays at home
- The best news we've heard all week
- How to Raise a Confident Daughter
- 17 worst things to say in a wedding speech
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- The hit songs and swimsuits of summer