Transition from Summer to Fall Effortlessly
- Next1 of 12Glo
- Previous Next2 of 12Melanie Acevedo/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 12Charlie Drevstam/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 12Dag Sundberg/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 12Thinkstock
- Previous Next6 of 12Corbis
- Previous Next7 of 12Eric Gregory Powell/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 12Mark Lund/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 12picturegarden/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 12Fuse/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 12Martin Barraud/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 12Jupiterimages/Thinkstock
- Transition from Summer to Fall Effortlessly11 Clever Decor Ideas For Small Patios
- Decorate A Rental Without Losing Your Deposit
- Designers Reveal Their Guilty Decor Pleasures
- Creative Hobbies & Crafts to Inspire You
- 8 Gorgeous City Gardens to Inspire You
- Stylish Outdoor Decor For Every Budget
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds
- Gotta Have It: Daily Animal Finds
- Spring Cleaning Myths—Busted!
- The Best 'Mad Men' Inspired Living Rooms
- 11 Affordable Ways To Decorate A Blank Wall
- 15 Camping Essentials for Coachella & Beyond
- 9 Stylish DIY Ideas for Easter
- Gotta Have It
- 7 Inspiring Ways To Use Wallpaper At Home
- 9 Ways Your House Can Help You Stay Fit
- Tricks For A More Productive Office Space
- Stylish Decor Ideas to Steal From the Runway
feng-shui_v021 of 12
Fall Festivities2 of 12
Kick off the fall season with a social gathering. "It's the best way to achieve an uncluttered, clean and organized space," says Debra Duneier, a feng shui master practitioner. The anticipation of the upcoming event can make cleaning more fun—and necessary.
Pile High3 of 12
Clear out your closet and drawers by making "stay/maybe/go" piles, says Duneier. Put the "maybe" items in a box, seal it and date it. "In six months, if you can't remember what was in the box before you open it, then those items are tossed into the "go" pile—with no exceptions!" This makes room for new and exciting things to enter both your closet and your life.
Plant With Purpose4 of 12
Bring nature indoors with a new houseplant for the upcoming season. Indoor trees and other plants like bamboo or gardenias are not only pleasurable to look at, but they also bring us additional health benefits. Duneier says that plants purify the air through tiny pores in their leaves that act as air filters.
Pump Up The Volume5 of 12
Duneier is also a fan of playing music, because she says the vibrations clear out the old energy and make room for new energy. "Play tunes that make you happy. Studies have shown that smiling improves your health, your stress level and your attractiveness," she says.
Water & Power6 of 12
In feng shui, the energy of the water element is most closely linked to prosperity. "It's important to place a water feature such as a fountain or a miniature waterfall in the southwest corner of your office for greater abundance to enter your life," says Duneier, author of EcoChi: Designing the Human Experience.
SHOP NOW: Small Space Fountain, from $87
Wave Goodbye7 of 12
A surge protector can reduce your exposure to radio frequency waves and electromagnetic fields if you get into the habit of using the off switch. "Studies show that EMFs interrupt sleep and can cause health problems. For a restful night (and a lower energy bill), simply shut off the main switch on the surge protector before you go to bed," says Duneier.
Red Alert8 of 12
Duneier says that according to the principles of feng shui, adding warm colors like red and burgundy into your home will increase passion and excitement because of their stimulating chi, or energy vibration. Softer colors like salmon, coral or dusty rose are believed to help attract a considerate and gentle lover.
SHOP NOW: Jute Braid Pillow Cover in Cherry Red, from $30
Bird Call9 of 12
Identifying the "Red Bird," or the active space, in your home can help you channel positive energy. One indoor location that is considered a "Red Bird" is the wall opposite your bed, which is believed to be an area where your future is depicted. "Carefully choose what you put on this wall," she says. "Select a painting, sculpture or photo that symbolizes the love and romance that you want to attract to your life."
Round About10 of 12
Fall is the perfect season to be seated at a round or oval table for meals. Duneier says that sitting in this formation enables everyone to see each other and to easily get involved in conversation. "Each person is valued equally, regardless of age or influence, since no one is seated in the power position at the head of the table."
Mirror Image11 of 12
In fall, the days get shorter, and the darkest areas of your home will have even less light than in the summer months. Strategically place a mirror on a wall where it will reflect daylight into the darkest areas of your home. "Sunlight is a natural mood elevator and will keep the space invigorated in the fall and winter months," says Duneier.
SHOP NOW: Hiltonia Oval Bevel Frameless Wall Mirror, $130
Salt Cure12 of 12
The cleansing properties of sea salt are used to renew a space's "chi." To cleanse your home of old energies and create room for fresh energy, Duneier says to try this: In a small bowl, add two tablespoons of sea salt, two cups of warm water and then wipe down all of your door and doorknobs with a moistened cloth that's been dipped in the solution.
SHOP NOW: Maldon Sea Salt, from $7