Turn your kid's room into your dream space
- Next1 of 8Catherine Tighe
- Previous Next2 of 8Tim James
- Previous Next3 of 8Marili Forastieri
- Previous Next4 of 8David Franzen
- Previous Next5 of 8Jeff Guga
- Previous Next6 of 8Albert Vecerka/Courtesy of Esto
- Previous Next7 of 8Joshua McHugh
- Previous Next8 of 8Catherine Tighe
- Turn your kid's room into your dream spaceRemodelista: Bold hues in a simple summerhouse
- Yee-Haw: Southwestern home decor
- 11 Over-the-top all-white rooms
- Amazing Rooftop Retreats Around the World
- Make $$$ this weekend: Garage sale secrets
- Amazing design trends from around the world
- 21 amazing art gifts for under $50
- 5 Festive Cinco de Mayo Party Finds Under $25
- 10 coolest sentimental mother's day gifts
- Gotta Have It: Mother's Day Finds
- Extreme Lust-Worthy Pools
- Unbelievable vacation destinations
- Can You Believe They live on the water?!
- The Ultimate Flower Power Lookbook
- The ultimate guide to stress-free parties
- Decorating After Divorce
- Try these (almost!) free home decor crafts
- Glo's latest obsession: Hi-tech finds
- Ellen DeGeneres's relaxing ranch retreat
Empty Nest Overhaul1 of 8
By Stacey Lindsay for Remodelista
Once the kids are off to college, your nest may be empty, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the extra room. Just a few simple changes can turn a former teen-space into an adult-friendly guestroom, home office or hobby room—without alienating your offspring. Here, seven ways to re-feather your nest.
Visitors Welcome2 of 8
By adding whimsical details to a light palette, designer Rachel Castle appeals to both teens and adults. Polka-dot bed linens and a decorative paper wall piece add youthful energy, while simple, neutral tones keep it sophisticated enough for guests.
ON REMODELISTA: Grown-Up Pieces for Children's Rooms
Purple Haze3 of 8
Not ready to let go? Ease into the transition with inspiration from this model bedroom by Neal Beckstedt. Pairing girlish lavender walls with black, gray and green accent pieces gives the sweet hue an unexpected edginess, making the space modern and mature.
ON REMODELISTA: Pink Doesn't Have to Be Precious
Office Space4 of 8
Marion Philpotts Miller of Philpotts Interiors designed this cheerful bedroom to have a dual purpose: a well-organized bedroom for a teenager that doubled as a home office. The furry rug and colorful artwork keep its youthful spirit, while the strategic built-in storage space keeps clutter off your desk.
ON REMODELISTA: Sophisticated Children's Spaces
Shelf Life5 of 8
In this minimalist room designed by Jeff Guga, tall painted cupboards and extra shelving create ample space to hide old trophies and toys, so you don't have to toss your kid's prized memorabilia.
ON REMODELISTA: The Ultimate Children's Playroom
Spaced Out6 of 8
Designer Jen Leone created this clutter-free room (shot here by Albert Vecerka/Esto) with three areas for distinct use: sleep, work and play. With the space-saving bunk beds and desks flush against the opposite wall, the middle area provides plenty of space for your yoga workout.
ON REMODELISTA: Creating an Urban Folly
High Note7 of 8
In this East Hamptons bedroom by Robert Stilin, framed vintage records and album covers turn a boyish abode into a cozy music room. The grid-like arrangement gives the youthful collection a mature look, and a plush couch and simple daybed allow for overnight visits.
ON REMODELISTA: Sculpture for the Modern Surfer
Reading Rainbow8 of 8
This sunny room by Deborah Berke & Partners features built-in shelves and a ladder, so you can easily display toys, family photographs, books and other nostalgic knickknacks. The all-white backdrop (including floors!) helps create a streamlined reading retreat that doesn't feel like a stuffy study.
ON REMODELISTA: A Mix of Texture and Color in Buenos Aires
- Jennifer Aniston's stylist reveals all
- Remake these lavish floral displays at home
- The best news we've heard all week
- How to Raise a Confident Daughter
- 17 worst things to say in a wedding speech
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- The hit songs and swimsuits of summer