Unbelievable Vacation Destinations
- Next1 of 16Courtesy of Hotel Home
- Previous Next2 of 16Courtesy of Postcard Inn
- Previous Next3 of 16Courtesy of Postcard Inn
- Previous Next4 of 16Alan Keohane
- Previous Next5 of 16Alan Keohane
- Previous Next6 of 16Courtesy of Hotel Home
- Previous Next7 of 16Courtesy of Hotel Home
- Previous Next8 of 16Courtesy of Ranch at Live Oak in Malibu
- Previous Next9 of 16Courtesy of Ranch at Live Oak in Malibu
- Previous Next10 of 16Courtesy of Hotel Azucar
- Previous Next11 of 16Courtesy of Hotel Azucar
- Previous Next12 of 16Courtesy of Babylonstoren
- Previous Next13 of 16Courtesy of Babylonstoren
- Previous Next14 of 16Courtesy of Hix Island House
- Previous Next15 of 16Courtesy of Hix Island House
- Previous Next16 of 16Ronnie Stam
- Unbelievable Vacation DestinationsPredictions for "Girls" Season 3
- Holiday Decorating Secrets From the Pros
- 6 DIY Wreaths That Are Cheap & Easy
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- 8 Daring Ways To Decorate With Orange
- 11 Wildly Creative Christmas Trees
- 10 High-Tech Ways to Survive the Holidays
- 7 Rich & Enviable Celebrity Bathrooms
- The Passive Aggressive Giver's Gift Guide
- The Very Best Of Americana Today
- 8 Essentials Every Home Bar Should Have
- 10 DIY Blunders, Fixed Forever
- 15 Kids' Gifts That Are Secretly for You
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Sparkly Finds
- 10 Hot Spots for Holiday Decor
- Best Tips For Celebrating Thanksgivingukkah
- The Lazy Person's Guide to Holiday Decorating
- 7 Inspiring Before-and-After Room Makeovers
Great Escapes1 of 16
By Stacey Lindsay for Remodelista
After a long winter, it's good to refresh, recharge and renew. Nothing seems to do that better than an unfamiliar and vibrant setting. Far and near, each of these destinations exudes a sense of warmth and carefree fun. Whether by plane or your own imagination, here's to getting away.
Hang Ten2 of 16
The allure of a laid-back surfer vibe resonates with guests at Postcard Inn. A full renovation in 2009 transformed this former motor lodge into a hip boutique hotel that stretches along the white sands of Florida's St. Pete Beach. Exuding the freedom of summer year-round, this Gulf Coast gem is the cooler cousin to the hot spots in Miami.
ON REMODELISTA: A Retreat in St. Pete
Surf's Up3 of 16
Inside Postcard Inn, vintage surfboards, retro photographs and beaded curtains adorn the rooms, evoking an air of nostalgia for bygone beach party movies of the 1960s.
ON REMODELISTA: A Summer Surf Lodge in New York
Moroccan Spice4 of 16
A large aerie set high on a hilltop with views of the Atlas Mountains, Kasbah Bab Ourika may look like an ancient majestic getaway, but make no mistake: This eco hotel was constructed just three years ago. With thick walls made of rammed earth materials, Bab Ourika seems a natural extension of its Moroccan ground. Guests can enjoy the natural grandeur in the valley or take a 45-minute ride to the souk in Marrakech.
ON REMODELISTA: A Moroccan Paradise
Home Grown5 of 16
For the interiors of Bab Ourika, designer Romain Michel-Meniere sourced almost all the furnishings in Morocco; including leather chairs hand-made by local craftsmen, sofas and pillows covered in Berber textiles and village pottery and rugs.
ON REMODELISTA: Woven Berber Blankets from Morocco
South American Splendor6 of 16
In Buenos Aires, where Latin energy vibrates off the sidewalks, visitors can seek respite at Hotel Home. With 17 rooms outfitted in Danish modern furniture and citrus hues, the hotel also features a peaceful garden, pool patio and full spa.
ON REMODELISTA: A Hip Stay in Buenos Aires
Wide Open7 of 16
The airy and light interior of Hotel Home has garnered numerous accolades from visitors and critics, including design awards from U.S. publications.
ON REMODELISTA: Summer Travel Destinations
Working Ranch8 of 16
At the Ranch at Live Oak in Malibu, bad habits die hard—and beautifully. Set three miles above the Pacific on a picturesque historic ranch, the Ranch is not a mere escape; it is a place to rid guests of the toxicities of modern life. Laborious exercise and fresh vegetarian meals, all without your cell phone, are part of the experience.
ON REMODELISTA: A Malibu Health Retreat
In the Rough9 of 16
Originally a hacienda from the 1920s, the Ranch was remodeled and expanded by owners Alex and Sue Glasscock in 2010. The interior features natural and reclaimed items: Unhemmed linen coverlets are used on the beds, while floors and furniture are refashioned from salvaged painters' scaffolding.
ON REMODELISTA: Outdoor Malibu Furniture Collection
Sweet Escape10 of 16
In Veracruz, Mexico, where the sugar canes grow tall, a local resort offers guests the ultimate beachside getaway. Built by acclaimed hotelier Carlos Couturier, Hotel Azucar is named after the sweet local crop. Each thatched bungalow boasts a spare interior washed in bright white and a private terrace.
ON REMODELISTA: A Sugary White Hotel
Living Single11 of 16
A single color yields big results against the predominantly white-on-white scheme at Hotel Azucar.
ON REMODELISTA: A Secluded Tropical Estate in Veracruz
Out of Africa12 of 16
Style and history live harmoniously at Babylonstoren in the Cape Winelands region of South Africa. Design sage Karen Roos, a former editor for ELLE Decoration, took three years to renovate the 17th-century Cape Dutch farmhouse. In 2010, she opened its doors as a full resort and a revived working farm. Visitors travel from all parts of the world to stay in the guest suites, dine in the locally sourced restaurant, and walk through the eight-acre formal garden.
ON REMODELISTA: Vegetable Decor in Cape Town
White Out13 of 16
Inside the guest cottages at Babylonstoren, the thick walls are washed in white, creating a cool and calm setting for the African heat.
ON REMODELISTA: Crisp Whites in a South African Bedroom
Green House14 of 16
A stay at Hix Island House in Puerto Rico means there is no choice but to be completely in the moment—and in nature. Architect David Hix created this Zen getaway with the intent to make "the outdoors becomes the indoors." Rooms were designed as personal villas, equipped with kitchens, outdoor showers and large windows that invite in the cool air and green scenery. Guests enjoy complete solitude and comfort without televisions and phones.
ON REMODELISTA: A Natural Resort in Vieques
Dive In15 of 16
Similar to the inside, the exteriors of Hix Island House also employ a simple aesthetic that highlights the natural surroundings in Puerto Rico.
ON REMODELISTA: Luxurious Pools
Brazilian Boho16 of 16
After her first visit to Trancoso, Brazil, New York designer Jan Eleni Lemonedes decided to create Casa Lola, her idyllic vacation home. With the help of a local Brazilian architecture and construction firm, Lemonedes and her husband built a rustic and serene escape that includes an added pool and guesthouse. Visitors are welcome to rent the space and fall in love with the house, where every detail exudes Lemonedes' sense of style and worldly aesthetic.
ON REMODELISTA: The Charms of Casa Lola