9 Unexpected Products That Repel Bugs
- Next1 of 10Jakob Helbig/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 10Courtesy of Amazon
- Previous Next3 of 10Courtesy of Toys R Us
- Previous Next4 of 10Courtesy of Gaiam
- Previous Next5 of 10Courtesy of Insect Shield
- Previous Next6 of 10Courtesy of Smart Home
- Previous Next7 of 10Courtesy of Amazon
- Previous Next8 of 10Courtesy of Amazon
- Previous Next9 of 10Courtesy of Camping Gear Outlet
- Previous Next10 of 10Courtesy of Overstock
- 9 Unexpected Products That Repel BugsThe Best Organizing Tips for Every Room
- 13 Amazing Things You Can Do with Duct Tape
- Transform Your Bedroom for Under $50
- 10 Annoying Cleaning Hassles Made Easier
- The World's Most Spectacular Saunas & Tubs
- 10 Home Products That Will Change Your Life
- The 10 Germiest Spots You're Not Cleaning
- 10 Budget Decorating Secrets
- The Most Outrageous Wedding Demands Ever
- 7 Ideas to Transform Your Bookshelves
- 15 One-of-a-Kind Kitchens
- Dream home gyms inspired by top fitness studios
- 9 coolest new products for summer
- Can Your Home Make You Happier?
- The 22 Most Bizarre Names For Wall Paints
- 10 Tricks to Make Any Room Appear Bigger
- 10 Ways You're Organizing All Wrong
- High-Fashion Finds for the Home and Beyond
- Chinese New Year Fun Facts
Be Bug Free1 of 10
By Marlisse Cepeda for Woman's Day
Discover wacky items that are supposed to stop insects in their tracks.
Safety Light2 of 10
Covering your yard in bug repellent is a lot of work. Why not have outdoor decor do double duty? This lantern automatically sprays repellent based on bug activity. So if your yard is insect central, the lantern works overtime. The mighty mist wards off 95% of mosquitoes, gnats and no-see-ums for up to 10 hours in backyards up to 300 sq. ft. Made of geraniol (an odorless, plant-based repellent), citric acid and water, the repellent is safe for you, your grass and your pets.
SHOP NOW: Mosquito Mister Lantern, $60
Plant Away Pests3 of 10
Plant a group of low-maintenance Citronella plants around your patio, close to where you hang out in the evening. The scent of the living plant is stronger than most commercial products, making it harder for mosquitos to find you. Available at your local nursery, the plants grow to be five-to-six feet tall and can easily be propagated in the spring.
SHOP NOW: Mosquito grass plant kit, $17
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 8 Ingenious Cooking Gadgets
Anti-Bug Bangle4 of 10
Message-toting bracelets may be all the rage, but this kind’s more useful, repelling mosquitoes, houseflies, gnats, ticks and no-see-ums for up to five days. Even better, the geraniol deters bugs from a farther distance than citronella products can. The brightly colored bands’ simple snapping feature makes them wearable across belts, pet collars and more.
SHOP NOW: Geraniol Insect-Repellent Wristbands, $26 (set of 4)
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 10 Things You Didn't Know You Could Rent
Blanket Protection5 of 10
Snuggle up—without worrying about creepy crawlers. This convenient and durable cloth has a permethrin-based repellent bonded to its fibers, which protects against flies, mosquitoes, chiggers, ants, midges, disease-carrying ticks and more. The long-lasting repellent is odorless and safe for the whole family, and the blanket is available in dark blue, green and red.
SHOP NOW: Outdoor Blanket, $30
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 15 Clever Uses for Household Items
Night Buggie6 of 10
A nightlight in the shape of a ladybug does double duty as pest preventer by emitting high frequency sound waves (too high for humans to hear) that keep bugs and rodents away. An eco-friendly LED light automatically turns on at dusk.
SHOP NOW: Ultrasonic pest repelling nigh light, $13
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 11 Things That Mean More to Men Than "I Love You"
Twist & Shout7 of 10
If bugs love you, just do the twist. This flexible band is made with citronella, driving off most stinging and biting insects within a 10-foot radius for up to 200 hours. Just wrap it around your arm, bike or beach chair to keep you and your family bite-free at home or on vacation.
SHOP NOW: PIC Twist-It Mosquito Repeller, $9
Sticker Shock8 of 10
Forget scratch-n-sniff; these have a whole different superpower. Infused with three days’ worth of citronella to ward off biting insects like mosquitoes, flies, gnats and no-see-ums, these stickers attach to everything from backpacks to shoes. The DEET-free formula along with the fun iconic image make it prime for kid-friendly protection.
SHOP NOW: Hello Kitty Mosquito Bug Repellent Stickers, $13
Sitting Pretty9 of 10
Sitting camp side (or in the backyard) on this portable, foldable chair became a lot more comfortable thanks to the added protection of Insect Shield—an odorless formula that has been applied to the fabric. EPA approved, it will help keep bugs away, the lifetime of the product.
SHOP NOW: Travel Chair, $70
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 10 Surprising Facts About Orgasms
Shower Power10 of 10
Start the bug battle long before you leave the house with this DEET-free cleansing bar. Infused with an insect-repelling combination of eucalyptus oil and citronella oil, mosquitoes, ticks, flies and other biting bugs will think twice before making a meal out of you. If you’ve already been bitten, the bar’s menthol and calendula can soothe skin and relieve itching.
SHOP NOW: Skin Armour Anti-mosquito Soap, $11
- 16 Wedding Gowns For Under $500
- Incredible Firsts for Women in the 21st Century
- Buy Lupita's Headband for $58
- Famous people who used to be cheerleaders
- How to Get Fashion Week's Prettiest Nails
- The 10 Germiest Spots You're Not Cleaning
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Animal Finds