Witty and Whimsical Interiors
- Next1 of 7Glo
- Previous Next2 of 7Roger Davies
- Previous Next3 of 7William Waldron
- Previous Next4 of 7William Waldron
- Previous Next5 of 7Simon Upton
- Previous Next6 of 7Roger Davies
- Previous Next7 of 7Simon Upton
- Witty and Whimsical InteriorsThe Most Elaborate Holiday Windows Displays
- Predictions for "Girls" Season 3
- 10 Crazy Christmas Houses
- Holiday Decorating Secrets From the Pros
- 10 DIY Blunders, Fixed Forever
- 15 Kids' Gifts That Are Secretly for You
- 8 Daring Ways To Decorate With Orange
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Sparkly Finds
- 10 Hot Spots for Holiday Decor
- 7 Rich & Enviable Celebrity Bathrooms
- 6 DIY Wreaths That Are Cheap & Easy
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- 8 Essentials Every Home Bar Should Have
- 11 Wildly Creative Christmas Trees
- 10 High-Tech Ways to Survive the Holidays
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway
- The Passive Aggressive Giver's Gift Guide
- The Very Best Of Americana Today
- Best Tips For Celebrating Thanksgivingukkah
Rooms_v03a1 of 7
Rooms with Wit & Whimsy2 of 7
Here's a peek at one of our favorite ELLE DECOR stories by Kate Hambrecht. —Glo
Truly delightful design often has a touch of the unexpected. Here are a few playful rooms—ranging from the tastefully clever to the just plain surreal—that surprise and amuse us with their originality.
Words to Live By3 of 7
Literature-loving interior designer Sheila Bridges commissioned this thoughtful wall treatment by Pintura Studios for the library of her Harlem apartment. The hand-painted quotes are from her favorite authors, among them Zora Neale Hurston, Emily Dickinson and Dr. Seuss; the sofa is upholstered in a Rogers & Goffigon linen velvet.
ON ELLE DECOR: Great Ideas: Wall Treatments
One for the Books4 of 7
The craft of decoupage artist John Derian is on full display in the handsome and unusual treatment he’s given the foyer of his apartment on Manhattan’s Lower East Side. Derian created the vintage look with pages from old books, applied with Elmers Glue and water.
Pool Party5 of 7
At the seaside Ibizan vacation villa of brothers Antonio and Ignacio Saorin, guests are never far from the residence’s recreational activities. This bathroom features a uniquely surreal porthole: Mounted into the mirror, it peers into the deep end of the home’s swimming pool.
Player's Piano6 of 7
In her living room, fashion designer Cynthia Rowley mixes a hay-bale bench by Gaston Marticorena and a horseshoe cocktail table with the ultimate accessory for entertaining in Manhattan: a baby grand piano shell that serves as a giant ice bucket for champagne.
ON ELLE DECOR: Step Inside Cynthia Rowley’s Manhattan Townhouse
High Seas7 of 7
Decorators Jeffrey Alan Marks and Ross Cassidy offer a tongue-in-cheek nod to their beachy California neighborhood, Santa Monica Canyon, with a vintage Abercrombie & Fitch rowboat they’ve attached —upside-down—to their master bedroom ceiling.
ON ELLE DECOR: Rooms with High-Seas Style
For More Wit & Whimsy, visit ELLEDecor.com