The next best thing to therapy
- Next1 of 8Illustrations by Maece Seirafi
- Previous Next2 of 8Maece Seirafi
- Previous Next3 of 8Maece Seirafi
- Previous Next4 of 8Maece Seirafi
- Previous Next5 of 8Maece Seirafi
- Previous Next6 of 8Maece Seirafi
- Previous Next7 of 8Maece Seirafi
- Previous Next8 of 8Maece Seirafi
- The next best thing to therapyHow to Stop Fighting With Your Spouse
- Creative Hobbies & Crafts to Inspire You
- How Birth Order Affects Your Relationships
- Surprising Ways to Spice Up Your Marriage
- 20 "Good" Mistakes You Made in Your 20s
- April Fools' Pranks to Play On Your Partner
- 11 Amazing Images & Moments From 1954
- Married and not over your ex? How to deal
- 10 Traits That Cheating Guys Have in Common
- Ken Looks Back at 53 Years of Barbie
- 12 Things Men Never Notice About Women
- 8 Books to Read Before Seeing the Movie
- What to Shop, Watch & Read in April
- Nighttime Rituals That Will Improve Your Day
- 8 Morning Rituals to Improve Your Entire Day
- Unorthodox Parenting Techniques That Work
- 8 Things You Never Knew About Your Dreams
- Incredible Firsts for Women in the 21st Century
- 10 Things to Watch, Shop and Do in March
Analyze This1 of 8
By Brienne Walsh
As much as we'd like to journal our feelings, chill out in front of a happy light and powwow with our therapist on a daily basis, we don't have the time or money for that kind of navel-gazing. The next best thing? One of these new virtual mental health tools that make self-help more doable.
MoodKit2 of 8
The happiness app MoodKit, priced at $5, includes more than 200 activities, with personalized suggestions based on—you guessed it—your mood. It also makes it easy for you to keep a daily log of your emotions so you can identify the things that might be getting you down and develop strategies for reducing those negative emotions.
Unstuck3 of 8
When you can't figure out how to begin that work project or where to start cleaning your tragically messy apartment, the free app Unstuck helps you to organize your thoughts to get out of a rut. It connects you to a community of other users who can offer their own tips—or just sympathize.
Simply Being4 of 8
Yes, meditation is good for your mind, but it can be really intimidating to sit down and do it with no guidance. Simply Being, available for 99 cents, offers step-by-step voice-guided meditation, and it has a timer that can be set to fit your schedule. Your Zen awaits.
Let Panic Go5 of 8
The last thing you need when you're about to have a panic attack is to figure out how the heck to work an app. Luckily, Let Panic Go, priced at $2.99, is totally user-friendly. With simple mantras and games—one involves tapping a square until your breathing slows down—the goal is to calm yourself before anxiety escalates.
Ex-Lover Blocker6 of 8
Need help getting over a bad breakup? Ex-Lover Blocker, also free, was developed by a company in Brazil to prevent people from calling ex-lovers. When the spurned partner tries to call her old flame, the app blocks her, and instead warns her three best friends that she's tried to make a call. Can your therapist do that?
Live OCD Free7 of 8
Priced at $80, Live OCD Free is the most expensive of the mental health tools in our roundup, but it's the only one that offers a free online forum with support from experts, as well as expert consultations, for people with obsessive compulsive symptoms. The app itself focuses on Exposure and Response Prevention, which means there are exercises to reduce OCD symptoms, and guidance on setting practice goals with rewards to up motivation.
Depression Check8 of 8
One of the hallmarks of depression is the feeling that no one understands you, not even trained professionals like therapists. The free Depression Check offers a quick three-minute self-assessment that helps you identify your issues—whether they might be linked to an anxiety disorder or PTSD—and offers a confidential report and advice on how to get help.
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- 10 Surprising Ways to Test Your Compatibility
- Couples, what your sleep position reveals
- 9 Stylish DIY Ideas for Easter
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- 11 Creative Outfits For In-Between Weather
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds