10 Things Never to Say to Childless Friends
The questions and comments women without kids hate hearing
2. "You'll understand when you're a mom."
Sure, motherhood can change your perspective on many subjects, from discipline to healthy eating. But childless women don't come from another universe, says Laura Carroll, childfree blogger and author of Families of Two. "It's a myth that the childless don't know anything about parenting," she says. "They were once children themselves, they may have nieces and nephews or they may work with kids." Instead of subtly putting her down, show genuine interest and curiosity about your friend's opinions on parenting topics, says Carroll. She may surprise you with a fresh and effective approach.
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 7 Foods That Boost Every Type of Bad Mood
3. "Just relax. You'll get pregnant in no time."
"Relaxing doesn't help when there's a medical reason you can't conceive," says infertility blogger Lori LeRoy, author of The Inadequate Conception–from Barry White to Blastocytes. "Even if you could magically avoid the stress, there's still no guarantee of getting pregnant." A smarter suggestion for your frazzled friend: "Let's go for a run, go shopping or get a massage to take your mind off things."
More On MSN
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
- 10 Style Staples Every 30-Year-Old Should Own
- Lorde's Makeup Collaboration
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- Designers Reveal Their Guilty Decor Pleasures
- 10 Ways To Refresh Your White Button-Down
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds