8 Potentially Toxic Friends to Avoid
- Next1 of 9Girl, Interrupted: Sony Pictures Entertainment/Photofest
- Previous Next2 of 9GIrls Just Want To Have Fun: New World Pictures/Photofest
- Previous Next3 of 9Cruel Intentions: Columbia Pictures/Photofest
- Previous Next4 of 9Mystic Pizza: Samuel Goldwyn Company/Photofest
- Previous Next5 of 9Single White Female: Columbia Pictures/Photofest
- Previous Next6 of 9St. Elmo's Fire: Columbia Pictures/Photofest
- Previous Next7 of 9Black Swan: Fox Searchlight Pictures
- Previous Next8 of 9Ghost World: United Artists/Photofest
- Previous Next9 of 9Mean Girls: Paramount/Photofest
With Friends Like These...1 of 9
By Shannan Rouss
We're all for girl power and female bonding, but the older we get, the less patience we have for the high-school shenanigans that can characterize female friendships. Here, eight types of friends that may be best to unfriend.
Here Comes Trouble2 of 9
She's wild, adventurous and so much fun—until the next morning. She orders a round of shots (and then another), drags you onto the bar for a line dance and gets ornery when you say you have to go. While it's great to have pals that push us out of our comfort zones, be wary of the ones who shove.
Gossip Girl3 of 9
Meow! This catty friend just loves filling you in on who was seen flirting with someone else's husband, who supposedly got Botox and who got a little too tipsy at last week's wedding. She thinks she lives in an episode of Real Housewives, instigating drama for fun.
A Friend in Need4 of 9
Yes, part of being a good friend to someone is listening to her, letting her cry on your shoulder, and boosting her up when she's down. But someone is always in crisis mode, then you're no longer her friend—you're basically her therapist.
Territorial, Much?5 of 9
Okay, so she may not go single-white-female on you, but she does introduce you to others as her best friend and gets offended when you make plans without her. And when you invite a third friend to join you for dinner, she balks, saying she wanted one-on-one time with you.
She Loves Him...6 of 9
She loves him not. When it comes to her love life, your pal is bipolar. She is the girl who cried breakup. Who has time for that?
Unhealthy Competition7 of 9
She's the one-upper, who sees you more as rival than friend. When you buy a home, she buys a bigger one. When you get promoted to senior VP, she gets promoted to senior executive VP. When your kid learns the alphabet, hers is reading Chekhov. Deep down, she probably cares about you, but her competitive streak casts a shadow over everything.
Miss Smarty Pants8 of 9
Condescending is her trademark characteristic. It's hard to tell whether she cares about you or pities you.
Social Climber9 of 9
She's determined to get to the top of the social food chain and you're just a rabbit along the way. Once something better comes along, it's buh-bye bunny.
NEXT GALLERY: 10 Best Audiobooks for Your Daily Commute
- 10 Creative Braids You Have to See to Believe
- 11 Enviable Celebrity Bedrooms
- New Invention Helps You Read Faster
- 10 Things to Watch, Shop and Do in March
- 25 Unusual Outfit Details From Fashion Month
- 10 Budget Decorating Secrets
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Animal Finds