11 Love Lessons From the Real Gatsby and His Golden Girl
Should You Take Relationship Advice from Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald?
1. Do tell her she makes everything seem possible. Say what you will about Scott Fitzgerald—about his vanity, his drinking habits, his inability to manage money—but the man knew how to make a woman feel like an inspiration. After he'd fallen for Zelda (while stationed as an officer in the Army in Montgomery, Alabama), he cabled her from New York: "WHILE I FEEL SURE OF YOUR LOVE EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE. I AM IN THE LAND OF AMBITION AND SUCCESS AND MY ONLY HOPE AND FAITH IS THAT MY DARLING HEART WILL BE WITH ME SOON." Needless to say, it worked.
2. Don't tell her you'd like to lock her in a tower. Zelda was young, beautiful, and carefree, and even after her engagement to Scott—while he attempted to launch himself in New York—she dated other men, often as many as she could. A discouraged Scott lamented that before he'd met her he "used to wonder why they kept princesses in towers." A note to you guys out there: Avoid this tactic. Generally speaking, even merely metaphorical threats of imprisonment are a turn-off for women. Just ask Zelda, who rebuked her lover for writing those words, verbatim, in a string of six consecutive letters, declaring herself "damned tired" of his scolding.
More On MSN
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- 10 Surprising Ways to Test Your Compatibility
- Couples, what your sleep position reveals
- 9 Stylish DIY Ideas for Easter
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- 11 Creative Outfits For In-Between Weather
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds