11 Love Lessons From the Real Gatsby and His Golden Girl
Should You Take Relationship Advice from Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald?
5. Don't start the wedding before the bride's sister arrives. The young Scott Fitzgerald gave new meaning to the term "wedding day jitters." Having only recently and after long effort succeeded in getting Zelda to say "yes," Scott was in a hurry to seal the deal. After bringing Zelda to New York, planning to marry her as soon as possible, he failed to contact her sisters until the day before their April 3rd wedding at St. Patrick's Cathedral. The young Fitzgerald, "fidgety with waiting for the ceremony to begin," according to Zelda's sister Rosalind, ordered the priest to start the ceremony early, despite the fact that only two of her three sisters were present. It was a faux pas that Clothilde, the sister who missed the wedding, never quite got over, one that alienated Scott from his bride's family for years to come.
6. Do stay up all night talking, as if you're the only two people in the world. The wee small hours aren't just for ruminating over lost loves. Though Scott and Zelda are perhaps best known for late-night antics of the public, rowdy variety, some of their most memorable moments occurred when it was just the two of them. "No power on earth could make her do anything," Zelda's autobiographical heroine Alabama in Save Me the Waltz would say about her own early days of marriage, "except herself." One of the earliest proofs of this for Zelda was that there was no one to tell her when a night was over. One of her favorite indulgences: staying up all night talking to her lover and best friend. As Scott would fondly recall in later years, they often talked until dawn in their bedroom, about arts and literature and Broadway, about their plans to conquer the world, about where they might travel, absolutely reveling in their newfound freedom.
More On MSN
- 11 Eco-Friendly Brands To Shop Right Now
- 10 Things Guys Really Do After a Breakup
- SNL alum lands huge Garnier campaign
- Decorate A Rental Without Losing Your Deposit
- What Guys Think Of 10 Spring Hair Trends
- How Celebs Dress 10 Pounds Thinner
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds