13 things men still don't know about women
- Next1 of 14bravo les filles/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 14Claudia Pescatori/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 14Karin Smeds/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 14Jean-Philippe Tournut/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 14paolomartinezphotography/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 14Dougal Waters/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 14Jessica Farley/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 14Rudy Malmquist/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 14Jolien van Onna/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 14[Photography makes me happy]/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 14Brooke Pennington/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 14Javier Fernández/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 14MamaOwl/Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 14bravo les filles/Getty Images
Learning Curve1 of 14
By Shannan Rouss
Men and women have come a long way in understanding one another, but there remain certain essential female truths that guys have yet to fully grasp. To help move us forward, we're putting it all out there and revealing 13 things that men still may not know about women—but should.
Call It a Night2 of 14
Sometimes, we'd rather sleep alone: We don't always want to be held. Occasionally, we just want to go home, or for you to go home, depending on the circumstances. It could be that we have to get up really early the next morning, or that we forgot our contact lens solution, or that your mattress is lumpy—in which case, it might be time for a new mattress.
Under Cover3 of 14
We prefer "comfort" bras: Most women have four, maybe five bras, in their weekly rotation. And chances are that none of them is particularly sexy. In fact, they are most often decidedly unsexy, providing what bras are supposed to provide: support. The frilly, lacy undergarments that you're certain women wear all the time? We don't.
A Leg Up4 of 14
The longer you date us, the less we shave our legs: Those days of us always being smooth and stubble-free? Enjoy them while you can. Because like the sexy underthings, they won't last. It's not that women intend to let themselves go, but one of the perks of being in a relationship is not having to keep up with a time-consuming grooming regimen.
Nothing More Than Feelings5 of 14
Sometimes we're in a bad mood just because: It's not "that time of the month," so don't ask. Our feelings are complicated and not completely subject to our hormones.
Put It in Writing6 of 14
We expect a card with the present: Yes, we are grateful for the gift, but without a card it sort of feels half-hearted. If you're not good with words, then take more than 30 seconds to choose a card that gets the sentiment right.
Maid to Order7 of 14
We're not your mother: This should be pretty self-evident and yet men seem to frequently conflate their significant others with the women who raised them. We are not here to pick up after you, and we don't want to nag you about it—but we will if we have to. So don't make us.
Sharing Is Caring8 of 14
We always want half of your dessert: Even if we say we're not hungry, couldn't eat another thing, no way no how, when we say that we just want a taste what we really mean is "I'll take half."
Looking Back9 of 14
We will judge you—and ourselves—by the women you dated before us: We will look them up on Facebook and scrutinize their photos. If they are cheesy, we'll feel better about ourselves but question your judgment. If they are tall and thin and doing humanitarian work in the Sudan, we'll wonder what you see in us.
In the Know10 of 14
We expect you to remember our birthday: And the name of our first dog, where we went to college and how we like our eggs. Is that too much to ask?
Blues Clues11 of 14
We notice your jeans: Whether they're skinny jeans, dad jeans (slightly faded, a bit too baggy), or low-rise, straight-leg, with-contrast-stitching jeans, we will see them and we will draw conclusions, even if we don't want to.
Cramping Our Style12 of 14
We don't want you to be better dressed or have better hair than we do: Yes, we want you to look good, but in that rugged, manly, didn't-try sort of way.
Take Charge13 of 14
We want you to make the first move: As long as you're a well-adjusted guy with emotional intelligence, trust yourself to know when a woman is into you. We want to be approached, we want to be asked out, and we want you to be confident enough to do those things.
One of a Kind14 of 14
No two of us are the same: We don't all love to shop, drink cosmos and watch romantic comedies. While some men think that "you know one woman, you know them all," each woman has her own unique history and habits, her own endearing quirks and idiosyncrasies. Embrace them!
NEXT GALLERY: 11 Men to Date Before Settling Down
- How to Stop Fighting With Your Spouse
- 11 Clever Decor Ideas For Small Patios
- Save Using These Shopping Codes
- Your Ultimate Guide to At-Home Self-Tanners
- 12 Festival Outfits Inspired By Celebrities
- 11 Affordable Ways To Decorate A Blank Wall
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds