"DC Cupcake" Stars' Favorite Things
- Next1 of 12Glo
- Previous Next2 of 12PNC/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 12Courtesy of Hunter Boots
- Previous Next4 of 12Courtesy of Katherine Kallinis and Sophie LaMontagne
- Previous Next5 of 12Courtesy of Amazon.com
- Previous Next6 of 12Thinkstock
- Previous Next7 of 12Foodie Photography/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 12Courtesy of Dean & Deluca
- Previous Next9 of 12Thinkstock Images
- Previous Next10 of 12Courtesy of Miele
- Previous Next11 of 12Courtesy of MacKenzie-Childs
- Previous Next12 of 12Courtesy of Drugstore.com
- "DC Cupcake" Stars' Favorite ThingsIncredible Firsts for Women in the 21st Century
- 10 Things to Watch, Shop and Do in March
- In Defense of Keeping Your Inner Circle Small
- Fun Facts about Mardi Gras
- 5 Tips for Taking Better Family Photos
- 11 Ways to Celebrate Singles Awareness Day
- Random Acts of Kindness for Everyday
- The Science of Happily Ever After
- Over-the-top celebrity valentine's day gifts
- Selfie-Obsessed Tots?
- How to Be Funny: 9 Essential Tips
- How Creative Are You?
- Self-Help Books That Actually Help
- What His Favorite Books Says About Him
- 10 Times You Need to Get Over Your Jealousy
- Love Lessons From Famous Breakup Letters
- 8 Ways Wives Can Improve Their Marriages
- What His Valentine's Day Gift Really Means
- 20 Quotes to Inspire You This February
RELA_INTRO_DC-Cupcakes_v021 of 12
Morning Jolt2 of 12
To get ready for baking, LaMontagne and Kallinis both kick the day off with a cup of joe, though they each have their own style: Kallinis takes her cappuccino with a sprinkling of cinnamon, while LaMontagne prefers a vanilla soy latte with a drizzle of honey. LaMontagne says she and her sister are "expert baristas" now, thanks to her espresso machine. "There's nothing like the luxury of making espressos or lattes at home," she says.
Cooking Costumes3 of 12
"In our shop, we bake in our matching pink aprons and Hunter wellies," say the sisters. "People think it's funny that we like to bake in wellies, but the truth is, we have ruined so many pairs of nice shoes in our bakery. At the end of the day, you are covered in flour, sugar, cocoa powder and frosting. We just hose our wellies down at the end of the night, and they are as good as new!"
Guiding Light4 of 12
LaMontagne and Kallinis credit their grandmother for inspiring them to embark on this career path. "Our grandmother taught us both to bake," they say. "We developed our passion from her."
Mix It Up5 of 12
To whip up their famous cupcakes, the sisters employ professional Hobart mixers in their shop. But at home, they use standard KitchenAid electric stand mixers and, being bakers, they collect them the way other women might collect purses. "We have them in 12 different colors, from hot pink to apple green," they say. "We're always on the lookout for new cool colors as they come out."
Whisk It Good6 of 12
LaMontagne and Kallinis agree that their one essential baking tool is a French balloon whisk. "It should be a staple in every baker's kitchen," they say. Baking aficionados' take note: The sisters say that it can also be used "to sift flour and sugar when you're in a hurry."
Top Off7 of 12
When putting finishing touches on their creations, Kallinis is partial to dulce de leche. "I fell in love with it on a trip to Argentina and like to drizzle it over caramel cupcakes," she says. LaMontagne says that her favorite topping is caramelized hazelnuts. "We grew up loving Nutella as kids," she says, "so adding caramelized hazelnuts on top of chocolate cupcakes dipped in warm chocolate ganache reminds me of our childhood."
Great Grocer8 of 12
To find inspiration for new cupcake combinations, the sisters say that they most enjoy roaming the baking aisle at Dean & Deluca. "They always have exotic ingredients that we try to work into our recipes," they say.
Sweet Tooth9 of 12
Working with frosting all day hasn't diminished the sisters' affection for treats, particularly chocolate bars. "We love Valrhona dark chocolate, but we also have a weakness for Kit Kat bars."
Go, Go Gadget10 of 12
Putting dinner on the table each night can be a struggle when you're also running a business. Kallinis says she couldn't do it without her Miele steamer. "It saves me a ton of time and makes it easier to create healthier dinners, too."
You've Been Served11 of 12
When it comes to entertaining, LaMontagne and Kallinis use their MacKenzie-Childs serving-ware and stemware. "We love the whimsical feel of it," they say. "We each have our own sets of serving platters and teapots!"
Clean Sweep12 of 12
And when it's time to clean up, whether in their shop or at home, they need a kitchen product that will get the job done quickly. "We are fans of Green Works all-purpose cleaner," say the sisters. "It's eco-friendly, smells great and works wonders!"
- 16 Wedding Gowns For Under $500
- Incredible Firsts for Women in the 21st Century
- Buy Lupita's Headband for $58
- Famous people who used to be cheerleaders
- How to Get Fashion Week's Prettiest Nails
- The 10 Germiest Spots You're Not Cleaning
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Animal Finds