Awaken Your Romance With All 5 Senses
- Next1 of 11Peter Mason/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 11John Howard/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 11Image Source/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 11Martin Harvey/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 11Trinette Reed/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 11Hybrid Images/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 11Jupiterimages/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 11Dougal Waters/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 11Justin Pumfrey/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 11Evan Sklar/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 11PhotoStock-Israel/Getty Images
- Awaken Your Romance With All 5 SensesWhy I'm OK With Only One Child
- Schmoozing Tips for the Holiday Office Party
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- 10 Things to Watch, Read & Shop in December
- How to Get Your Kids to Stop Bickering
- Have an Adult Relationship With Your Parents
- The Passive Aggressive Giver's Gift Guide
- 21 Books That Make Great Gifts
- Home-for-the-Holidays Survival Guide
- Veterans' Day trivia
- 10 Love Lessons Moms Should Teach Daughters
- How to Be More Outrospective
- 8 Things Never to Say at Thanksgiving Dinner
- Sagittarius: Guide to Life, Love & Style
- 10 Mistakes Parents Make During the Holidays
- Totally Inappropriate Vintage Holiday Cards
- Our Favorite Men of Movember
- Best Relationship Advice From Country Music
- 17 Things to See, Do and Celebrate This Month
Makes Perfect Sense1 of 11
By Alison Singh Gee
Is your relationship losing its sizzle, its silkiness, its song? It could be because you and your partner haven't been fully stimulating each other's senses. Fortunately, getting back in touch, so to speak, is easier than you may think. Check out these sense-inspired tips for reigniting your romance.
Get Back On Track2 of 11
Create a soundtrack inspired by your early days of dating and play it for your partner over a glass of Champagne. Music reaches deep into the mind and soul to recall the thrilling, romantic times during which you first heard those songs. "Think of it as a soundtrack of play, passion and love," says Dr. Eva Selhub, author of The Love Response. If the music moves you, then take your sensual dalliance one step further. "Dancing will enhance your pleasure and deepen your connection," she says.
Hug It Out3 of 11
Sometimes, just hugging your partner and inhaling deeply is all it takes to awaken your passion. Selhub notes that during mating rituals, we attract the opposite sex with pheromones, which then blend with our natural aroma. Take a moment every day to hold your partner close and breathe him in to heighten your bond to each other's scent. "Every time you are near his particular scent, you'll reawaken your feelings of love again," she says.
Prepare A Memorable Meal4 of 11
Maybe you went to Thailand for your honeymoon, or to an evocative Italian restaurant for your first date. Re-create the evening for your partner with exotic foods, native flowers and a great bottle of that region's wine. An experience like this will "remind you both of a time when intimacy was a big part of the equation," says Selhub. "Eating together also creates bonding, which in turn creates oxytocin and that means more love."
Bare Your Soles5 of 11
Try giving your partner a weekly foot massage. (Of course, you should also feel free to ask for one in return!) Not only will this release his tension and, according to traditional Chinese medicine, stimulate his vital organs, but it will also reconnect the two of you in a basic way "through touch and a show of love," says Stacey L. Moss, founder of Moss Botanicals.
Get Poetic6 of 11
While it might sound cheesy, reciting a love poem to your partner will create a memorable bond to your voice and will also show him how important your partnership is to you. "He will hear your willingness to be in your relationship," says Moss.
Enhance Your Boudoir7 of 11
Create a scent haven by choosing a relaxing aroma that appeals to you and your partner and then subtly layering your bedroom with it: Spray fresh bedsheets with lavender mist, light lavender scented candles, and then lavish yourself with lavender-infused lotion. You can also try applying a scent roll-on—try Moss's essential oil blend—to the natural creases of the body. "The inside the elbow, behind the knee, or the bottom of the derriere are great spots," says sex and health educator Sonjia Kenya, M.D.
Soak It Up8 of 11
Have your partner text you 10 minutes before he gets home, but don't tell him why. Then prepare him a "ritual bath" with salt and essential oil, complete with dimmed lighting, a glass of sparkling water, and a beautiful robe and towel waiting for after the bath. "I did that for my boyfriend, and he talked about the experience for two days," says Moss. "Such acts of love nurture your partner, and the scents you use will establish a new, positive association."
Use Your Heads9 of 11
Help one another de-stress with this head massage: Start by soaking a plush towel in hot water laced with an essential oil that appeals to you both. Wring out the towel and drape it across your partner's shoulders and back. Then pour warmed mustard oil (a few tablespoons will do nicely) onto his head and gently massage in. This is a classic Indian treatment that conditions the hair and scalp, and touching your husband or boyfriend in such a nurturing way "soothes tensions and opens up a space for familiarity, closeness, understanding, confidence and trust," says Moss.
Play With Your Food10 of 11
If you want to stimulate your partner's taste and smell, then try filling a warm room with lavender candles. Then place a small dish of pumpkin pie filling under your partner's nose and spoon feed him some. Yes, this sensual combination might sound crazy, but it works: Chicago's Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation found that the pairing of lavender and pumpkin pie turns men on, says Kenya. Other scents that stimulate? Cinnamon buns, doughnuts and black licorice.
Do A Little Dress-Up11 of 11
Go all out and impersonate his celebrity crush, complete with a wig and the right makeup. "Men are visual creatures and aroused when they see something visually appealing," says Kenya. "Dressing up as your lover's fantasy woman gives him the chance to 'experience' a dream come true, and it will make him feel sexier and less inhibited because he's playing a role."
- Totally Unexpected Ways To Sparkle This Season
- Why I'm OK With Only One Child
- Win $3,500 Worth of Gifts
- Beauty Solutions For A Stress-Free Holiday
- Schmoozing Tips for the Holiday Office Party
- And Pantone's 2014 Color of the Year Is...
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway