De-Stress Test: Which Methods Really Work
10 stay-calm strategies for harried people
- Vincent Besnault/Getty Images
From relationship troubles to overwhelming workloads, lots of things can stress you out. Thankfully, there are a slew of strategies that promise to help you feel better fast. But do all of them really work? We challenged real women to try out ten of the most recommended stress busters. Click through to discover what they and experts had to say about them.
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 9 Bad Habits That Are Good For You
1. Peel an Orange and Eat It
Why It's Supposed to Work: Peeling releases a satisfying scent and triggers you to anticipate the refreshment of the fruit, says Coral Arvon, PhD, Director of Behavioral Health and Wellness at the Pritikin Longevity Center in Aventura, FL. Once you eat it, your blood vessels relax and blood pressure lowers, adds Nieca Goldberg, MD, Medical Director of the Joan H. Tisch NYU Langone Center for Women's Health in New York City.
Real Result: Shaunte Wadley, 40, of Lehi, UT found this stress buster "surprisingly relaxing" when she focused on nothing but the fruit. Edilma Romero, 60, of Yonkers, NY, also found the experience favorable, but she wasn't as shocked: She eats an orange every day.
More On MSN
- Jennifer Aniston's stylist reveals all
- Remake these lavish floral displays at home
- The best news we've heard all week
- How to Raise a Confident Daughter
- 17 worst things to say in a wedding speech
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- The hit songs and swimsuits of summer