De-Stress Test: Which Methods Really Work
10 stay-calm strategies for harried people
10. Chew Gum
Why It's Supposed to Work: Popping in a piece loosens the jaw, which holds a lot of tension. This de-stressor is especially effective for teeth grinders, Dr. Goldberg points out. Gum chewing is also connected to higher alertness levels, adds Dr. Arvon.
Real Result: Rockwell doesn't enjoy chewing gum, so she found chomping increased tension. An alternative from Ehrman: Make "exaggerated funny faces," such as scrunching up your face, raising your eyebrows high and smiling big. In addition to releasing rigidity from your jaw, you'll zap stress from the rest of your face.
More On MSN
- Adult games everyone will want to play
- Shop the season’s comfortable new heel height
- The best news we've heard all week
- The 7 best things about being an aunt
- The best pedi-and-sandal combos ever
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- Dare to wear: spring's cutting-edge vests