Forget Me Not
Eight Ways To Make A Lasting Impression
2. Have a balanced conversation.
Anyone who's been on the silent end of a one-sided conversation knows how unpleasant it is, so be sure not to monopolize things. "Avoid the data dump," says Demarais. In other words, speak a little bit about yourself, and then ask questions, being sure to give whoever you're speaking to a chance to think and respond—without interrupting.
The best conversations are a seamless back-and-forth banter, because it creates the opportunity for mutual connections. "If someone wants to know more about your dog or exotic cooking habits, they can ask you questions," notes Demarais.
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 5 Habits of Punctual People
More On MSN
- Jennifer Aniston's stylist reveals all
- Remake these lavish floral displays at home
- The best news we've heard all week
- How to Raise a Confident Daughter
- 17 worst things to say in a wedding speech
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- The hit songs and swimsuits of summer