Forget Me Not
Eight Ways To Make A Lasting Impression
5. Get real in your introduction.
The secret to a memorable introduction? Attach a "confessional-style" factoid when introducing yourself, suggests Spiegel, who explains that the admission should be something conveying vulnerability. "The top quality that helps people connect with others is realness," as it immediately wipes out any sense of competition, which can put people off, Spiegel explains.
Something as simple as "Hi, I'm Liz—and I don't know a single person here!" or "Hi, I'm Liz—have you tried the spinach dip? I can't stop eating it" works because it relays to whomever you're speaking that they, too, can be themselves. "Self-disclosure is a way of adding instant depth to a conversation," says Demarais.
More On MSN
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Awkward Situations
- 10 Gorgeous Gifts That Give Back to Charity
- Office Supplies' New Look
- 6 DIY Wreaths That Are Cheap & Easy
- Why I'm OK With Only One Child
- Beauty Solutions For A Stress-Free Holiday
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway