Forget Me Not
Eight Ways To Make A Lasting Impression
8. Know when the conversation is over.
Whether you're mingling at a party or flirting with a new love interest, knowing when to wrap it up is crucial to leaving a positive impression. "Each person should expose just enough that they'll both feel satisfied and look forward to more," says Rudan. The best way to make sure you know when it's time to go is to stay present—keep appropriate eye contact and listen carefully—so that you can pick up on the signals that the other person is ready to wind down the conversation, she explains. "If they start eye-surfing or summarizing the chat, which can often be subconscious, it may be time to move on."
If you miss the signs that the conversation has come to an end? "It could make you seem self-serving and disrespectful of someone's time," says Rudan. Equally as important as finishing up at the right moment is ending the conversation on a positive note. "Think of your farewell as the last verse or chord of a song—it sticks with you," says Spiegel, who suggests concluding with a compliment.
More On MSN
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- 10 Surprising Ways to Test Your Compatibility
- Couples, what your sleep position reveals
- 9 Stylish DIY Ideas for Easter
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- 11 Creative Outfits For In-Between Weather
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds