19 things to do, see and celebrate this month
- Next1 of 20Maece Seirafi
- Previous Next2 of 20Angel Franco/New York Times Co./Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 20Courtesy of Target
- Previous Next4 of 20Courtesy of Clinique
- Previous Next5 of 20Courtesy of publisher
- Previous Next6 of 20Glo
- Previous Next7 of 20ZenShui/Sigrid Olsson/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 20Stockbyte/Thinkstock
- Previous Next9 of 20Glo
- Previous Next10 of 20Allison Joyce/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 20James Devaney/WireImage
- Previous Next12 of 20Photo12/UIG/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 20Thinkstock
- Previous Next14 of 20Photodisc/Thinkstock
- Previous Next15 of 20Thinkstock
- Previous Next16 of 20Universal Pictures
- Previous Next17 of 20Jason Reed/Thinkstock
- Previous Next18 of 20AP Photo/John Amis
- Previous Next19 of 20Stuart Wilson/Getty Images for New West End Company
- Previous Next20 of 20AP Photo/Julie Jacobson
- 19 things to do, see and celebrate this monthA Cancerian's guide to life, love & style
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Wedding Finds
- The 10 best beach reads of all time
- What kind of friend are you?
- "What I never knew about my dad..."
- 9 books that every grad should read
- 10 Secrets of Healthy Relationships
- All-time best young adult books from the '80s
- The 7 best things about being an aunt
- What would Khaleesi do?
- 9 habits of highly creative people
- Father's Day Fun Facts
- 7 worst texts a guy can send—or not send
- Remember When? 19 best things about 1993
- 16 things to do, see and celebrate this month
- Using Twitter As Your F-U-N Guide
- The next best thing to therapy
- Transgender Journey: My first year as a woman
- A Gemini's guide to life, love & style
Happiness List1 of 20
There's a lot more to this month than Yule logs and lights. Find out how you can make the most of December with Glo's roundup of the best things to see, do and celebrate.
Take a Moment2 of 20
Dec. 1: Today marks the 57th anniversary of Rosa Parks refusing to give up her bus seat in Montgomery, Ala., prompting the Montgomery Bus Boycott four days later. Though not the first person to resist bus segregation, Parks became known as "The First Lady of Civil Rights" and was later awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Score Deals3 of 20
Starting Dec. 1: Your holiday shopping just got a whole lot easier—and more affordable—thanks to the Target x Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection, launching at the beginning of December. With 50 pieces from 24 designers, the collaboration includes a bike for the cycle-chic set, plenty of travel gear for budget-savvy jet-setters and more get-'em-while-they're-hot finds.
Get Happy4 of 20
Starting Dec. 1: Clinique partners with Happy Hearts Fund, an international charity founded by supermodel Petra Nemcova. Support the cause by purchasing a limited-edition Happy Heart fragrance—$10 from the sale will go to rebuilding schools in areas affected by natural disasters.
Hail the Empress5 of 20
Dec. 4: The first full-length biography of Diana Vreeland, The Empress of Fashion: A Life of Diana Vreeland, becomes available today. Read how the iconic Vogue editor-in-chief and self-made career woman helped revolutionize fashion.
Listen Up6 of 20
Dec. 4: Summer might be over but you can still bathe in your memories of those gloriously hazy days with wistful glo-fi, chillwave beats from Memory Tapes' new album, Grace/Confusion, which launches today.
Try This Tradition7 of 20
Dec. 5: Legend has it that if children leave a pair of shoes outside their bedroom door tonight, the eve of St. Nicholas Day, they'll awake to find them filled with candy, cookies or other small trinkets.
Spin the Dreidel8 of 20
Dec. 8: Happy first night of Chanukkah on Dec. 8! Already have plans? Don't worry—you have another seven nights to celebrate the Jewish festival of lights.
Go Color Crazy9 of 20
Dec. 8: Tangerine Tango ends its reign as Pantone's Color of the Year, when the color pros announce the "it" shade for 2013. Word on the street is that it'll be Monaco Blue, but hue never know!
Dress in Red10 of 20
Dec. 15: While the annual SantaCon celebration takes place in New York City today, the Claus-inspired event happens throughout the month in 267 locations. Check out the event calendar to find a SantaCon near you. The more the merrier!
Gossip Away11 of 20
Dec. 17: Devotees of Gossip Girl must bid adieu to Serena, Blair and the rest of the privileged uptown crowd with the show's two-hour finale airing tonight. xoxo
Don't Be a Scrooge12 of 20
Dec. 19: What the Dickens? Today marks the anniversary of A Christmas Carol, the classic Charles Dickens novella first published in 1843. Search to find out where you can see a stage version of Scrooge's story, which is performed at theaters across the country during the month.
Live It Up13 of 20
Dec. 21: While doomsday-watchers fret over the end of the world (if the Mayan calendar called it right), we suggest using the occasion as inspiration to seize the moment. Plan a trip to go skydiving, confess your love to that handsome neighbor and—just for a day—live like it might be your last.
Test Your Smarts14 of 20
Dec. 21: Pick up a good old-fashioned newspaper and attempt (or maybe finish) the crossword puzzle. Today marks the 99th anniversary of when the brainy game was first hot off the press in 1913.
Shake Things Up15 of 20
Dec. 24: It's Christmas Eve—and National Eggnog Day, an occasion everyone can get behind, regardless of religion. Find a homemade recipe for the decadent drink.
See the Musical16 of 20
Dec. 25: Keeping with the tradition of major movie openings on Christmas Day, Les Misérables arrives in theaters today. With a cast that includes Anne Hathaway, Russel Crowe, Amanda Seyfried and Sacha Baron Cohen, the musical has gone full-on Hollywood. Vive la révolution!
Star Gaze17 of 20
Dec. 25: On Christmas night, the Earth will make its closest approach of the year to Jupiter, the giant planet. Look just above the moon and if you see a large, brilliant star, then you've found it.
Learn About Kwanzaa18 of 20
Dec. 26: The African-American cultural festival celebrating family and community starts today and lasts until Jan. 1. The weeklong celebration focuses on the seven principles of compromise, a worthwhile tradition for everyone.
Shop, Shop19 of 20
Dec. 26: Just when you thought holiday shopping season had come to an end, today is National Boxing Day, the Black Friday of the U.K. and Canada, when major discounts abound. Look for deals from sites that offer international shipping like MyTheresa.com and Reiss.com.
Smooch Someone20 of 20
Dec. 31: Countdown to 2013 with Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest 2013. Taylor Swift will perform, along with Carly Rae Jepsen, whose "Call Me Maybe" was one of the highlights of our year.
- Dog Vs. Man: Which is the better companion?
- Go punk without looking like a poser
- An App for "Secure" Sexting
- Decadent (and inexpensive) new beauty buys
- Are you ready to celebrate the supermoon?
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Wedding Finds
- Dream home gyms inspired by top fitness studios