His Valentine's Day card decoded
- Next1 of 9Courtesy of American Greetings
- Previous Next2 of 9Courtesy of American Greetings
- Previous Next3 of 9Courtesy of American Greetings
- Previous Next4 of 9Courtesy of American Greetings
- Previous Next5 of 9Courtesy of American Greetings
- Previous Next6 of 9Courtesy of American Greetings
- Previous Next7 of 9Courtesy of American Greetings
- Previous Next8 of 9Courtesy of American Greetings
- Previous Next9 of 9Courtesy of American Greetings
- His Valentine's Day card decoded9 Lies You Should Tell Yourself
- 10 Things Guys Really Do After a Breakup
- 10 Surprising Ways to Test Your Compatibility
- How to Stop Fighting With Your Spouse
- 12 Things Men Never Notice About Women
- 8 Books to Read Before Seeing the Movie
- What to Shop, Watch & Read in April
- Nighttime Rituals That Will Improve Your Day
- 8 Morning Rituals to Improve Your Entire Day
- Unorthodox Parenting Techniques That Work
- Creative Hobbies & Crafts to Inspire You
- How Birth Order Affects Your Relationships
- Surprising Ways to Spice Up Your Marriage
- 20 "Good" Mistakes You Made in Your 20s
- April Fools' Pranks to Play On Your Partner
- 11 Amazing Images & Moments From 1954
- Married and not over your ex? How to deal
- 10 Traits That Cheating Guys Have in Common
- Ken Looks Back at 53 Years of Barbie
In the Cards1 of 9
By Shannan Rouss
Long gone are the days when a boy simply asked you to be his Valentine and you said yes or no. Today's cards can be vague and a bit ambiguous, whether intentional or not. To help you make sense of his Valentine's Day greetings, Glo decodes the meaning behind eight very different cards. (Men, take note.)
Rock On2 of 9
The Analysis: With no "I" anywhere in the card, he's distancing himself from the sentiment, and from you. He's saying, objectively, you rock, and that he's sure you'll make some other guy very, very happy, but it won't be him.
SHOP NOW: You Rock card, $3
Booty Time3 of 9
The Analysis: The outside of the card says he's afraid of being hurt. He wants to keep things light, and avoid sentimentality. But the clarification on the inside beginning with "actually" is like a confession. He loves you, he feels vulnerable, and there ain't nothing he can do about it. Be gentle with him.
SHOP NOW: Love You Like card, $3
Hi Yourself4 of 9
The Analysis: This is the type of card you might expect from a male co-worker or friend who's testing the waters. He has feelings for you, but he's keeping things intentionally vague to see how you'll react.
SHOP NOW: Hi! card, $3
Half-Hearted?5 of 9
The Analysis: We can respect a guy not being into the whole "Valentine" thing, but his cynicism could be a sign that he has a hard time expressing his emotions. Still, the fact that he got you a card at all shows that he cares enough to make at least a modicum of effort.
SHOP NOW: Boxing Hearts card, $3
Like It or Not6 of 9
The Analysis: Note the use of "so" and "really." He's not just in like, he's so in like. And he's not just glad you're his Valentine, he's really glad. So what that he didn't say love? He might just need a little encouragement.
SHOP NOW: In Like card, $3
Seeing Red7 of 9
The Analysis: Love-filled? If this is the most affection a guy can muster, then it might be time to move on. The only excuse for giving you a card this generic is that he didn't want the card's text to compete with the heartfelt message he has written inside.
SHOP NOW: Happy Valentine's Day card, $3
Party Line8 of 9
The Analysis: Points for candor and the needlepoint lettering is a quaint touch. If a man sends you this card, then hopefully you've been with him long enough to appreciate its humor.
SHOP NOW: Party Needlepoint card, $3
Won Over9 of 9
The Analysis: While simply being told that you're awesome would be on par with being told that "you rock," this card succeeds where the previous one failed. You're not just awesome, you're "the single most awesome thing." What's more, you've "happened" to someone, caused some shift in another person, more significant than anything else. Hopefully, you feel the same way.
SHOP NOW: Stick Figure card, $3