How to Make a Sex Date
- Next1 of 11Digital Vision/Thinkstock
- Previous Next2 of 11Jupiterimages/Thinkstock
- Previous Next3 of 11George Doyle/Thinkstock
- Previous Next4 of 11George Doyle/Thinkstock
- Previous Next5 of 11Thinkstock
- Previous Next6 of 11Creatas Images/Thinkstock
- Previous Next7 of 11Stockbyte/Thinkstock
- Previous Next8 of 11Stockbyte/Thinkstock
- Previous Next9 of 11DreamPictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 11Stockbyte/Thinkstock
- Previous Next11 of 11Digital Vision/Thinkstock
- How to Make a Sex DateIncredible Firsts for Women in the 21st Century
- 10 Things to Watch, Shop and Do in March
- In Defense of Keeping Your Inner Circle Small
- Fun Facts about Mardi Gras
- 5 Tips for Taking Better Family Photos
- 11 Ways to Celebrate Singles Awareness Day
- Random Acts of Kindness for Everyday
- The Science of Happily Ever After
- Over-the-top celebrity valentine's day gifts
- Selfie-Obsessed Tots?
- How to Be Funny: 9 Essential Tips
- How Creative Are You?
- Self-Help Books That Actually Help
- What His Favorite Books Says About Him
- 10 Times You Need to Get Over Your Jealousy
- Love Lessons From Famous Breakup Letters
- 8 Ways Wives Can Improve Their Marriages
- What His Valentine's Day Gift Really Means
- 20 Quotes to Inspire You This February
Right On Schedule1 of 11
By Alison Singh Gee
We know sex is good for a marriage, but that doesn't mean we're doing it. Work deadlines, carpools and mortgage payments are just a few unavoidable obstacles to intimacy and maybe it's been a month—or, gulp, two—since you've been intimate. The solution? "Make a sex date," says psychiatrist Dr. Eva Ritvo. Here's how to do it with panache.
Let's Talk About Sex…2 of 11
Put the kids to bed, light the candles, break out the wine...and have a heart-to-heart. Tell your partner how much you’ve missed your alone-time together and how much you miss the sex. Put it out there that since your lives are now so busy you should put some fun sex dates on the books.
Set Goals3 of 11
Ask your husband how many times weekly he wishes you could have sex. Then chime in with your number—just remember to consider his feelings too. If you want sex a lot less than he does, throw out a number that’s just a little higher. Compromise!
Take Charge4 of 11
Let your partner know that you’re happy to be the in-house Director of Intimate Relations, and then mean it. If you want him to participate in the ritual, then ask him to pick up a bottle of wine or a decadent treat like chocolate truffles to set the mood for every sex date.
Consult Your Calendars5 of 11
Scan the nights of your overscheduled lives and see what nights you can free up (even if you have to cancel some less important engagements). Mark the dates with pen, and just say NO to anything that might come up. Show each other that your sex life is a priority.
Enlist The Smartphone6 of 11
Set your iPhone or BlackBerry alarm to remind you of your sex date a day before. (You can also Tungle in a sex date and receive email reminders.) You’ll both need the prep time, mentally and physically.
Start Sexting7 of 11
That's right, it's not just for teenagers. On the day before your sex date, start texting sexy messages to your husband or boyfriend. Think simple but to the point, e.g. "I can’t wait to tear that suit off you tomorrow night."
Set Your Mood8 of 11
Whatever makes you feel sexier and more confident, do it. Maybe that means reading erotica, trying on your lingerie or checking out some sexy websites.
Change The Scenery9 of 11
If you’ve got room in your budget, then book a hotel (midweek rates are usually much cheaper than weekend ones). If not, then sexy up your bedroom with a few thoughtful touches. Switch out the cotton sheets for satin ones, tidy up and add a few scented candles and a bouquet of fragrant flowers. Maybe even place a few hot pictorial books on his bedside table.
Prep For The Big Night10 of 11
Get a foot massage and pedicure, sneak in a workout, pop into your favorite lingerie shop and treat yourself to a light, healthy lunch. Most importantly, make sure you’re rested and ready to go. Nothing kills a sex date more than being too tired to do it.
Switch Things Up11 of 11
Sex dates don’t always have to take place at the same time or spin out in the same way. Men like variety. Every once in a while, make a sex date for an afternoon quickie, or a romp in the shower. Keep it fresh! You may even enjoy your sex dates so much that you’ll both find them happening more often—even without the scheduling.
- 10 Creative Braids You Have to See to Believe
- 11 Enviable Celebrity Bedrooms
- New Invention Helps You Read Faster
- 10 Things to Watch, Shop and Do in March
- 25 Unusual Outfit Details From Fashion Month
- 10 Budget Decorating Secrets
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Animal Finds