Is Your Family Disaster-Ready?
Learn how to be prepared for worst-case scenarios
- David Muir/Getty Images
Recently, natural disasters have been making huge headlines, and rightfully so: The victims found their lives devastatingly changed in a matter of minutes. Perhaps you've wondered, what would you do if a disaster struck close to home? "Preparing for disaster can be overwhelming, but taking the first step is essential," says Kara Desmarais, preparedness expert for the American Red Cross. Since disaster can strike at any time, here's a handy guide to help you and your family before you need it.
1. Have a Kit
Make sure you have everything you need on hand. "You'll first want to gather your supplies and keep them in an easy-to-carry kit in an accessible location that you can use at home or take with you if you need to evacuate," says Desmarais. To find out what items you absolutely must have, check out 8 Emergency Kit Essentials.
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 15 Clever Uses for Household Items
More On MSN
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
- 10 Style Staples Every 30-Year-Old Should Own
- Lorde's Makeup Collaboration
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- Designers Reveal Their Guilty Decor Pleasures
- 10 Ways To Refresh Your White Button-Down
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds