Top 11 Ways to Lighten Up Your Love Life
- Next1 of 12Glo
- Previous Next2 of 12Shutterstock
- Previous Next3 of 12Istockphoto
- Previous Next4 of 12Istockphoto
- Previous Next5 of 12Shutterstock
- Previous Next6 of 12Shutterstock
- Previous Next7 of 12Shutterstock
- Previous Next8 of 12Shutterstock
- Previous Next9 of 12Istockphoto
- Previous Next10 of 12Zoomphotographics/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 12Istockphoto
- Previous Next12 of 12Shutterstock
- Ways to Lighten Up Your Love Life8 Winter Date Night Ideas
- Why I'm OK With Only One Child
- Schmoozing Tips for the Holiday Office Party
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- 8 Things Never to Say at Thanksgiving Dinner
- How to Get Your Kids to Stop Bickering
- Have an Adult Relationship With Your Parents
- Totally Inappropriate Vintage Holiday Cards
- 21 Books That Make Great Gifts
- Home-for-the-Holidays Survival Guide
- 10 Things to Watch, Read & Shop in December
- 10 Love Lessons Moms Should Teach Daughters
- How to Be More Outrospective
- The Passive Aggressive Giver's Gift Guide
- Sagittarius: Guide to Life, Love & Style
- 10 Mistakes Parents Make During the Holidays
- Veterans' Day trivia
- Our Favorite Men of Movember
- Best Relationship Advice From Country Music
RELA_Lighten Up_intro card_v03a1 of 12vaseline
On a Date2 of 12
Switch up the old routine and try a day date instead. Not only is change good for your relationship, but being out in the sun allows your skin to soak up vitamin D, which in turn raises levels of your feel-good hormone, serotonin. (Just don’t forget that sunscreen!) Take a bike ride, visit your local farmer’s market or go to a festival.
On Vacation3 of 12
If you’re not too pressed for time, pick one day to throw out the itinerary, so you don’t have to worry about meeting the tour group somewhere or getting to a museum at your reserved time. Step out of your hotel and leisurely take in your surroundings, so you can see what it’s like to live as a local.
While Doing Chores4 of 12
Make to-dos wanna-dos: Turn the hose on each other while watering the lawn; give bill paying Superbowl status by accompanying the task with chips, onion dip and an old movie; transform cleaning house into a dance party by cranking up the tunes; or have a scavenger hunt instead of merely grocery shopping.
At Work5 of 12
Instead of sending your guy emails with more to-do lists, surprise him with ten fun things you can do together that night or weekend, and ask him to pick five to send back. Then, you pick three from his list, email it back, and so on. Thinking about something fun will make those work hours fly by.
After Work6 of 12
If your after-work routine consists of flipping on the TV or swapping stories from your day around the kitchen table, try taking a walk around the neighborhood instead. You’ll not only burn calories, but you’ll be out of the house and doing something different together.
After a Fight7 of 12
So the spat is over, but the mood is still tense. We advise having a go-to joke to clear the air when it’s all over. Sure, it may sound silly, but that’s kind of the point.
On the Weekends8 of 12
Schedule a family day each weekend during which hanging out together takes precedence over distractions like chores, answering email and the like. Whether you lounge in bed until noon, go rock climbing or see a movie, you’ll end up feeling refreshed.
In the Car9 of 12
Have to make a long drive to the in-laws? Research the route in advance and plan a detour to a landmark that’s on the way — cheesy diners count! — to turn what could be just another long drive into an adventure for two.
In the Bedroom10 of 12
Have more fun in bed with a good book — yes, we’re serious! There are some great guides to getting it on, with ideas that even the shy can try. And it’s more than okay to gawk and giggle as you turn the pages; your sex life doesn’t need to be serious to be sexy. In fact, we think it’s better that way.
With Friends11 of 12
Websites like GroupOn offer great rates on normally pricey restaurants and activities when enough people sign-up. Gather some friends together to grab a deal for an out-of-the-norm group date. Hanging out with mutual pals changes the dynamic, adding zest to what could just be another typical night.
Whenever You Can12 of 12
This one is easy: Smile at each other, even when you don’t think you want to. Dale Jorgenson, Ph.D., a psychology professor at Cal State University Long Beach, says smiling is contagious: The more you see a smile, the more you want to smile, and the overall happier you are. Sounds like an easy prescription for lightening up to us.
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Awkward Situations
- 10 Gorgeous Gifts That Give Back to Charity
- Office Supplies' New Look
- 6 DIY Wreaths That Are Cheap & Easy
- Why I'm OK With Only One Child
- Beauty Solutions For A Stress-Free Holiday
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway