10 Things Never to Say on a First Date
- Next1 of 11Jupiterimages/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 11Jupiterimages/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 11Cultura/Robin James/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 11PhotoAlto/Frederic Cirou/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 11Xavier Bonghi/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 11Ryan Lane/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 11Troels Graugaard/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 11Giorgio Magini/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 11David Trood/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 11Digital Vision/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 11Purestock/Getty Images
First Date Faux Pas1 of 11
By Naomi Chrisoulakis
When it comes to nerve-wracking situations, first dates are right up there with job interviews and public speaking. Sure, you want to be yourself, but you also want to be on your best behavior—which means you may need to censor yourself, just a little. To help, we've rounded up ten definite second-date killers (some based on experience) for both men and women.
Ex Files2 of 11
Don't Say: "My ex and I used to come here all the time."
You can think it, but if you say it, it's going sound a lot like you're not over your ex—and that's not exactly hot.
Family Matters3 of 11
Don't Say: "How many kids do you want?"
We get it—you want kids. But you're not on The Bachelorette. Stick to sussing out whether your date has any brothers and sisters during the first go-round.
Ordered Around4 of 11
Don't Say: "I ordered you the salad."
Guys, do we even need to tell you why this is a dumb idea? Whether it's salad or soufflé, don't order for your date—unless she asks you to.
Hail No!5 of 11
Don't Say: "Oh, you're catching the bus? I own my own business so I'm going to catch a cab."
Well, lah-di-dah. Yes, this really happened at the end of a date.
Gender Offender6 of 11
Don't Say: "I don't even know what feminists are complaining about."
Let's hope your date can enlighten you (starting with the fact that American women earn 77 cents to men's dollar), because this screams ignoramus.
Save It7 of 11
Don't Say: "You won't believe the date I had last night."
No matter how hilarious the story, save it for your friends—no one wants to know he or she's on a rotating roster of potential partners.
Singled Out8 of 11
Don't Say: "So why are you still single?"
Everyone knows this is code for "so what's wrong with you?" It's also a total conversation nonstarter—the only serious response you can offer is "I just haven't met the right person." And then? Crickets.
But What?9 of 11
Don't Say: "I'm not racist, but…"
But you're about to say something that sure sounds like it.
Here's a Tip10 of 11
Don't Say: "Nah, I'm not going to leave a tip."
That saying beloved by baristas all over, "Generous tippers make generous lovers"? Kinda true. Cheapskate isn't a good look.
No Hue Didn't11 of 11
Don't Say: "That's not your natural hair color. What you should do is go more bronze-y—just keep adding in blond bits."
Are you a hairdresser? "No, I'm an investment banker." True story.
NEXT GALLERY: 39 Most Eligible Bachelors Under 39
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
- 10 Style Staples Every 30-Year-Old Should Own
- Lorde's Makeup Collaboration
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- Designers Reveal Their Guilty Decor Pleasures
- 10 Ways To Refresh Your White Button-Down
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds