OMG! New words added to the dictionary
- Next1 of 15Glo
- Previous Next2 of 15Glo
- Previous Next3 of 15Glo
- Previous Next4 of 15Glo
- Previous Next5 of 15Glo
- Previous Next6 of 15Glo
- Previous Next7 of 15Glo
- Previous Next8 of 15Glo
- Previous Next9 of 15Glo
- Previous Next10 of 15Glo
- Previous Next11 of 15Glo
- Previous Next12 of 15Glo
- Previous Next13 of 15Glo
- Previous Next14 of 15Glo
- Previous Next15 of 15Glo
- OMG! New words added to the dictionaryHow to Stop Fighting With Your Spouse
- Creative Hobbies & Crafts to Inspire You
- How Birth Order Affects Your Relationships
- Surprising Ways to Spice Up Your Marriage
- 20 "Good" Mistakes You Made in Your 20s
- April Fools' Pranks to Play On Your Partner
- 11 Amazing Images & Moments From 1954
- Married and not over your ex? How to deal
- 10 Traits That Cheating Guys Have in Common
- Ken Looks Back at 53 Years of Barbie
- 12 Things Men Never Notice About Women
- 8 Books to Read Before Seeing the Movie
- What to Shop, Watch & Read in April
- Nighttime Rituals That Will Improve Your Day
- 8 Morning Rituals to Improve Your Entire Day
- Unorthodox Parenting Techniques That Work
- 8 Things You Never Knew About Your Dreams
- Incredible Firsts for Women in the 21st Century
- 10 Things to Watch, Shop and Do in March
Word Up1 of 15
By Brithny Zhang & Shannan Rouss
The Oxford English Dictionary has deemed 27 new words worthy of inclusion in its hallowed pages. This year's chosen ones will join past inductees including whatevs, ish, OMG, bromance and jeggings. Read on to discover eight of our favorite additions, along with six more words that didn't make the cut—but should have.
/ree-dik/2 of 15
Have you seen her engagement ring? It's ridic.
/vuh-jaz-uhl/3 of 15
(usually as noun: vajazzling)
adorn the pubic area of (a woman) with crystals, glitter, or other decoration
The bride got vajazzled for her wedding.
/mwa-ha-ha-ha/4 of 15
used to represent laughter, especially manic or cackling laughter such as that uttered by a villainous character in a cartoon or comic strip
You haven't seen the last of me... mwahahaha!
/doosh/5 of 15
an obnoxious or contemptible person, typically a man
That guy at the bar is a total douche.
/oh-aitch/6 of 15
a person's wife, husband, or partner (used in electronic communication)
She's great, but her OH is very meh.
Are OHs invited?
Origin: abbreviation of "other half"
/deyt nite/7 of 15
a prearranged occasion on which an established couple, especially one with children, go for a night out together
After 20 years together, their typical date night was dinner at an Italian restaurant followed by 60 Minutes at home.
/groop huhg/8 of 15
an instance of a number of people gathering together to hug each other, typically to provide support or express solidarity
After a fight, the three roommates opened a bottle of wine and had a group hug.
/lahlz/9 of 15
fun, laughter, or amusement
Good times last night. Thanks for the lolz.
(as exclamation) Did you see the pic of the dachshund in a blanket? OMG, lolz!
/in-uh-prohps/10 of 15
not proper or fitting for a particular situation; often preceded by "totes" (for totally)
That miniskirt is totes inapprops for the office.
/schway-stid/11 of 15
the ultimate stage in drunkenness; typically one gets buzzed, then drunk, then hammered, then wasted, then schwasted
I got schwasted last night, brah. Be glad I'm alive.
/mom-ee porn/12 of 15
sexually explicit literature, also called erotica, that tends to appeal to women (often considered derogatory)
Erotica authors may take offense to having their books labeled mommy porn.
/uh-dorbs/13 of 15
adorable beyond all belief
Did you see her new puppy? So adorbs.
/yo-lo/14 of 15
an acronym for "you only live once," typically used as an excuse for something stupid one has done; also said to be carpe diem for idiots
"You're going out tonight even though you have a big presentation tomorrow?" he asked.
"YOLO!" said his buddy.
/deetz/15 of 15
details, typically in email or instant messaging
What are the deets for tonight?
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- 10 Surprising Ways to Test Your Compatibility
- Couples, what your sleep position reveals
- 9 Stylish DIY Ideas for Easter
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- 11 Creative Outfits For In-Between Weather
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds