Why women can't get enough of "Fifty Shades of Grey"
You Don't Have to Want It to Like It
Readers who do not crave BDSM can still get a lot out of Fifty Shades. Why? Because if we can see that a character is deeply aroused, we can be deeply aroused too, even if the act isn't our thing. (For instance, several erotic romance publishers say that many of their female customers buy male/male erotic romance.) Plus at its core, the novel is about finding out what you like and who you are, and as is the case with most stories of transformation—whether it stars a princess who must marry a prince or a detective who must catch a criminal—you don't have to want this life in order to enjoy the characters' journey.
Lana Fox is a sex writer and blogger for Boston Magazine. Her short stories have been published in a variety of anthologies, including Best Bondage Erotica 2012. You can more about her and BDSM at lanafox.com.
More On MSN
- 10 Creative Braids You Have to See to Believe
- 11 Enviable Celebrity Bedrooms
- New Invention Helps You Read Faster
- 10 Things to Watch, Shop and Do in March
- 25 Unusual Outfit Details From Fashion Month
- 10 Budget Decorating Secrets
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Animal Finds